Sunday, April 6, 2025
30 C
Brunei Town
More

    Consider easing up attendance, cohort grouping in early Endemic Phase

    The re-opening of schools for Year 10 and Year 11 students nationwide last Monday has brought about a mixed kind of reaction among the parties involved. A sense of relief among educators, feeling of excitement among students to see their friends again and for some parents, a concern over the safety of their children in class.

    However, the Ministry of Edu-cation deserves recognition for the hard work and efforts in ensuring a flawless and smooth first day of school, even with conducting ART tests for the returning students. Hats off to everyone involved!

    With a son who is in Year 10 and has started physical lessons last Monday and another in Year 8 who will start school on January 17, I have the assurance that the ministry is doing their best to ensure the safety and well-being of my children while at school. I was surprised to learn that students are still required to attend school five-days a week and there was no change in the number of students allocated for one class, although my son insisted that the classroom is spacious enough to allow physical distancing for all the 23 students in his class.

    I would have expected some form of leeway in terms of physical attendance – maybe only three days a week to allow for online learning if they are not at school, since we are still in the early Endemic Phase.

    With only Year 10 and 11 students present at school, there should be enough classrooms to accommodate classes that should have been split into groups. Even most departments and offices are employing this strategy to avoid overcowding in a confined space.

    According to a report on Model-driven mitigation measures for reopening schools during the COVID-19 pandemic published by the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America (PINAS), stu-dent cohorting, in which students are divided into two separate populations that attend in-person classes on alternating schedules, can reduce both the likelihood and the size of outbreaks.

    Families, schools, and com-munities can work together to help ensure students can safely remain physically together in school.

    This includes ensuring everyone who is eligible gets the COVID-19 vaccine. It means wearing a face mask, staying home when not feeling well and doing whatever is possible to keep others safe around us. When everyone does their part, the whole community wins.

    Concerned Dad

     

    Inflation hits record of 5pc in 19 countries using the euro

    LONDON (AP) – Consumer prices in the 19 countries that use the euro currency hit a record high of five per cent in December compared with a year earlier.

    The rise was led by a surge in energy prices, according to numbers released yesterday by the European Union’s (EU) statistical office.

    Inflation is now at the highest level in the eurozone since recordkeeping began in 1997 and broke a record set in November. Soaring prices are compounding problems for European Central Bank policymakers who have been keeping interest rates at ultra-low levels to stimulate the economy amid the global pandemic.

    Map helps man reunite with family after decades

    BEIJING (AP) – Since he was a child, Li Jingwei did not know his real name. He did not know where he was born, or for certain how old he was – until he found his biological family last month with the help of a long-remembered map.

    Li was a victim of child trafficking. In 1989 when he was four, a bald neighbour lured him away by saying they would go look at cars, which were rare in rural villages.

    That was the last time he saw his home, Li said. The neighbour took him behind a hill to a road where three bicycles and four other kidnappers were waiting. He cried, but they put him on a bike and rode away.

    “I wanted to go home but they didn’t allow that,” Li said in an interview with The Associated Press. “Two hours later, I knew I wouldn’t be going back home and I must have met bad people.”

    He remembers being taken on a train. Eventually he was sold to a family in another province, Henan.

    ABOVE & BELOW: In this image taken from video, Li Jingwei is reunited with his mother in Lankao in central China’s Henan; and the map used to identify his home town. PHOTOS: AP

    “Because I was too young, and I hadn’t gone to school yet, I couldn’t remember anything, including the names” of his parents and hometown, he said.

    Etched in his memory, however, was the landscape of his village in the southwestern city of Zhaotong, Yunnan province. He remembered the mountains, bamboo forest, a pond next his home – all the places he used to play.

    After his abduction, Li said he drew maps of his village every day until he was 13 so he wouldn’t forget.

    Before he reached school age, he would draw them on the ground, and after entering school he drew them in notebooks. It became an obsession, he said.

    More than 30 years after his abduction, a meticulous drawing of his village landscape helped police locate it and track down his biological mother and siblings.

    He was inspired to look for his biological family after two reunions made headlines last year. In July, a Chinese father, Guo Gangtang, was united with his son after searching for 24 years, and in December, Sun Haiyang was reunited with his kidnapped son after 14 years.

    Reports of child abductions occur regularly in China, though how often they happen is unclear. The problem is aggravated by restrictions that until 2015 allowed most urban couples only one child.

    Li decided to speak with his adoptive parents for clues and consulted DNA databases, but nothing turned up. Then he found volunteers who suggested he post a video of himself on Douyin, a social media platform, along with the map he drew from memory.

    It took him only 10 minutes to redraw what he had drawn hundreds, perhaps thousands of times as a child, he said. That post received tens of thousands of views. By then, Li said police had already narrowed down locations based on his DNA sample, and his hand-drawn map helped villagers identify a family.

    Li finally connected with his mother over the telephone. She asked about a scar on his chin which she said was caused by a fall from a ladder. “When she mentioned the scar, I knew it was her,” Li said.

    Other details and recollections fell into place, and a DNA test confirmed his heritage. In an emotional reunion on New Year’s Day, he saw his mother for the first time since he
    was four.

    As Li walked toward her, he collapsed on the ground in emotion. Lifted up by his younger brother and sister, he finally hugged his mother.

    Li choked up when speaking about his father, who has passed away. Now the father of two teenage children, Li said he will take his family to visit his father’s grave with all his aunts and uncles during Lunar New Year celebrations next month.

    “It’s going to be a real big reunion,” he said. “I want to tell him that his son is back.”

    Call for youth to become regional climate leaders

    The Embassy of the United State (US) of America in Brunei Darussalam is partnering with Big BWN Project and Malaysia-based Biji-biji Initiative to launch the Brunei Young Southeast Asian Leadership Initiative (YSEALI) Summit 2022, which will run from March to September.

    Applications close on January 31.

    The summit will focus on climate change issues in Southeast Asia, and will empower over 80 youth to become regional climate leaders equipped with the tools to tackle a warming planet.

    The summit offers a hands-on, immersive learning experience that will expand the participants’ ability to navigate the complexity of climate issues.

    “We are seeking resilient YSEALI alumni who are committed to championing innovative climate solutions and who can drive a united effort for climate mitigation in Southeast Asia,” said Chargé d’Affaires at Embassy of the US of America in Brunei Darussalam Emily Fleckner.

    Eligible participants from 11 YSEALI member countries (Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Timor-Leste, and Vietnam) may apply for the programme, which includes pre-summit virtual activities (March – May 2022), the summit (June 2022), and post-summit follow-up activities (July – September 2022).

    Participants will have the opportunity to apply for one of two optional and highly rewarding programme tracks. The Small Grants track will supply each of five winning teams USD2,000 to implement their green recovery initiative. The Career Fellowship track will invite 12 participants to join climate action organisations in the region working on innovative climate change solutions.

    Regional climate change experts will join the summit, offering participants beneficial knowledge and experience as well as a chance to network with like-minded professionals.

    EU’s von der Leyen says Europe must be involved in Ukraine talks

    PARIS (AFP) – European Union (EU) Commission Chief Ursula von der Leyen said yesterday that negotiations to resolve tensions between Russia and Ukraine must involve Europe.

    Speaking ahead of crunch security talks between the United States (US) and Russia next week, von der Leyen told a press conference in Paris: “One thing is clear: no solution without Europe. Whatever the solution, Europe has to be involved.”

    She added that the European Union was “very present” in Ukraine, with financial aid totalling EUR6 billion, as well as highly dependent on its position as a transit hub for gas imports from Russia.

    French President Emmanuel Macron, speaking alongside von der Leyen, stressed that US-Russia talks were a positive development, but said they would not affect “European security architecture” which was “up to us to build”.

    “It’s a good thing that there are discussions between the US and Russia,” he said.

    “The coordination between the Europeans and Americans is exemplary on the matter,” he added, while also calling for the EU to hold its own talks with Moscow.

    “Dialogue does not mean making concessions,” he said.

    With tens of thousands of Russian troops massed on Ukraine’s border, the administration of US President Joe Biden has accepted talks in Geneva next Monday with Moscow which has proposed agreements to limit NATO’s expansion.

    Visible connection

    XINHUA/ VOGUE – Maria Grazia Chuiri’s Christian Dior haute couture collection represented her emotional response to standing up for the interdependence between couture and all the people who work to craft its materials. Coming back to in-person shows after three seasons made her want to reconnect with “being present”, through the awareness of the tactility of amazing hand-made textiles.

    The big question of what fashion will look like in the world we are re-emerging into was answered by Chuiri in a primary focus on daywear. The top-to-toe silhouettes of grey tweeds or camel cashmere might have suggested the lasting echo of the long walks in nature that entire populations have been taking during the pandemic. Seen against the conceptual landscape murals, designed by Eva Jospin, the models, in flat hiking boots or woven mesh slippers were a contrast to the delicacy of the nymph-like flou dresses in the collection.

    The dresses seemed to hark back to that personal Italianate aspect of Chiuri’s romanticism. Semi-transparent, pleated, and delicately crimped, some had been entirely hand-braided from strands of silk; the corsetry “woven like baskets”.

    The poetry Chiuri sees in this is connected not just to the visual effect. “It’s a metaphorical thing, to say that we’re all connected,” she said.

    Newcastle starts squad rebuilding with signing of Trippier

    NEWCASTLE, ENGLAND (AP) – Newcastle began its first transfer window under Saudi ownership by signing England fullback Kieran Trippier from Atletico Madrid yesterday, highlighting the level of player the club can attract now it is one of the richest in the world.

    Trippier, who started the European Championship final in July, has swapped the Spanish champion for a team struggling against relegation in the Premier League in a move that is reportedly costing Newcastle GBP12 million.

    Newcastle is in next-to-last place in the league after winning just one of its 19 games so far. Its chances of escaping relegation could hinge on how successful its January transfer window proves.

    The resources available to the club are significantly greater than its relegation rivals following Saudi Arabia’s sovereign wealth fund’s purchase of Newcastle in October, and more high-profile signings could follow this month.

    Trippier returns to the Premier League two-and-a-half-years after leaving Tottenham to join Atletico. He was previously at Burnley under manager Eddie Howe, who is currently in charge at Newcastle.

    Treasure hunters sue for records on FBI’s Civil War gold dig

    AP – Treasure hunters who believe they found a huge cache of fabled Civil War-era gold in Pennsylvania are now on the prowl for something as elusive as the buried booty itself: government records of the FBI’s excavation.

    Finders Keepers filed a federal lawsuit against the Justice Department over its failure to produce documents on the FBI’s search for the legendary gold, which took place nearly four years ago at a remote woodland site in northwestern Pennsylvania.

    The FBI has since dragged its feet on the treasure hunters’ Freedom of Information Act request for records, their lawyer said on Wednesday.

    “There’s been a pattern of behaviour by the FBI that’s been very troubling,” said Anne Weismann, who represents Finders Keepers.

    She questioned whether the agency is “acting in good faith”.

    A message was sent to the Justice Department seeking comment on the suit, which asks a judge to order the FBI to immediately turn over the records.

    Finders Keepers’ owners, the father-son duo of Dennis and Kem Parada. PHOTO: AP

    Finders Keepers’ owners, the father-son duo of Dennis and Kem Parada, had spent years looking for what, according to legend, was an 1863 shipment of Union gold that was lost or stolen on its way to the US Mint in Philadelphia.

    The duo focused on a spot where they say their instruments detected a large metallic mass.

    After meeting with the treasure hunters in early 2018, the FBI brought in a contractor with more sophisticated instruments.

    The contractor detected an underground mass that weighed up to nine tons and had the density of gold, according to an FBI affidavit unsealed last year at the request of news organisations, including The Associated Press (AP).

    The Paradas accompanied the FBI to the site in Dent’s Run, about 135 miles northeast of Pittsburgh, but say they were confined to their car while the FBI excavated.

    The FBI has long insisted the March 2018 dig came up empty, but the agency has consistently stymied the Paradas’ efforts to obtain information.

    The FBI initially claimed it had no files about the investigation.

    Then, after the Justice Department ordered a more thorough review, the FBI said its records were exempt from public disclosure.

    Finally, in the wake of the treasure hunters’ appeal, the FBI said it had located 2,400 pages of records and 17 video files that it could potentially turn over – but that it would take years to do so.

    Macron maintains rude remarks about France’s unvaccinated

    PARIS (AP) – French President Emmanuel Macron yesterday maintained his rude remarks about the country’s minority of vaccine refusers, saying he cannot accept them infringing on others’ freedom.

    The 44-year-old outspoken president, who is expected to seek re-election later this year, made headlines earlier this week by using the word “emmerder” – meaning to rile or to bug.

    He was talking about his strategy for pressuring vaccine refusers to get coronavirus jabs. His vulgar language dominated news broadcasts and provoked angry reactions from his political rivals.

    Speaking in a news conference in Paris, Macron acknowledged the term may have upset some, but said he takes full responsibility for it.

    “When some make from their freedom… a motto, not only do they put others’ lives at risk, but they are also curtailing others’ freedom. That I cannot accept,” he said in reference to unvaccinated people. “When you are a citizen you must agree to do your civic duty.”

     

    Volunteers, frontliners seek clarification on monthly allowance

    As a volunteer at one of the health centres in the country, I take pride in my line of duty by helping the government through the Ministry of Health in the fight against COVID-19.

    The announcement made by His Majesty Sultan Haji Hassanal Bolkiah Mu’izzaddin Waddaulah ibni Al-Marhum Sultan Haji Omar ‘Ali Saifuddien Sa’adul Khairi Waddien, Sultan and Yang di-Pertuan of Brunei Darussalam during a special titah delivered on April 14, 2020 on providing a BND400 monthly allowance for healthcare workers who have been on the frontlines of the COVID-19 pandemic came as a huge blessing and a true form of acknowledgement on the role of critical workers.

    However, it is disappointing to learn that volunteers like us have not been receiving the amount.

    As a registered volunteer since the start of the second wave, I have been receiving a monthly allowance ranging from a low of BND280 to the highest amount of BND320. It would be fair if we were to get any form of explanation for the reason behind the inconsistency.

    To make matters worse, the amount would vary among each of the volunteers even when everyone is doing the same fair share of work.

    It would even get to a point where tension would arise when one starts to compare how much they earn with the other.

    A fellow volunteer, who was assigned by a local job provider to be stationed at one of the medical facilities, even claimed that she has not received one single payment since August.

    As volunteers, we know that we have signed up for this job on our own will and to not expect any form of incentives in return, but we are also entitled to claim our rights for the monthly allowance in accordance to His Majesty’s titah.

    Curious Volunteer

    Trending News