Friday, April 4, 2025
27 C
Brunei Town
More

    ‘I wish this war would end’: Ukrainian refugees reach 2.8M

    Rafal Niedzielski & Justin Spike

    PRZEMYSL, POLAND (AP) – As Russia’s war in Ukraine becomes a grim new reality for millions of Ukrainians, the tens of thousands who make the increasingly treacherous journey toward safety each day in the European Union (EU) are left with no sense of when, or if, they’ll ever return home.

    More than 2.8 million people have fled Ukraine in the wake of Russia’s invasion, according to the UN refugee agency, the vast majority seeking refuge in Poland, which has taken in more than 1.7 million refugees in the last 19 days.

    In the Polish border town of Przemysl, some of those fleeing, mostly women and children, are exhausted and express a simple wish that the war and violence would stop.

    “All day crying from the pain of having to part with loved ones, with my husband, my parents,” said Alexandra Beltuygova, 33, who fled from Dnipro, a city between the embattled metropolises of Kyiv and Mariupol.

    “I understand that we may not see them. I wish this war would end,” she said.

    At a refugee centre in Suceava in northern Romania, 28-year-old Lesia Ostrovska watched over her one-year-old son as her daughter, who is eight, played nearby with other children is placed by the war.

    “I left my husband, my father, my mother, my grandparents,” said Ostrovska, who is from Chernivtsi in western Ukraine. “It’s hard with kids, in the bus, here in this situation … We hope that the war is finished soon and we can go back home.”

    Firefighters help a refugee fleeing the war from neighbouring Ukraine at the Romanian-Ukrainian border, in Siret, Romania. PHOTOS: AP
    People that fled the war in Ukraine wait at Przemysl train station in Przemysl, Poland on March 14

    As the fighting, now in its third week, continues to exact a grievous human toll in Ukraine with Russian troops bombarding many of the country’s most populous cities, the number of those crossing into the EU has begun to slowly wane in recent days. In Hungary, where around 255,000 refugees have entered so far, only 9,000 people crossed the border with Ukraine on Sunday, compared to more than twice that on March 1, according to police.

    In Slovakia, where more than 200,000 people have fled, fewer than 9,000 crossed the border on Sunday, down from more than 12,000 four days earlier. In Poland, about 82,000 refugees were admitted, down from an earlier daily peak of around 129,000. Also Sunday, 14,475 Ukrainians entered Romania, down 13 per cent compared to the previous day, border police said.

    Spokesperson for UNHCR in Romania, Gabriela Leu said it was difficult to determine what is causing the slowdown in the exodus from Ukraine, but said “I can see the possibility of this being something temporary.”

    “The situation is very fragile and very fluid … it’s maybe more difficult for people to move, but it’s just speculation,” Leu said. “But the bottom line is that the numbers continue to grow.”

    Even as the pace of those leaving Ukraine has slowed, people fleeing the violence continued to arrive in large numbers in countries on Ukraine’s western border.

    In Przemysl, some recounted seeing military attacks on civilians, something that Russia continues to deny. “I saw destroyed houses and fighting. I saw a lot of tanks when I was driving from Kyiv. I know that a house near us was completely destroyed this morning,” said Inessa Armashova, 40, a resident of the Ukrainian capital of Kyiv. “Many people fled. But many cannot leave, sick children or sick elderly people.”

    The continued push by Russian forces toward Kyiv comes a day after Russia escalated its offensive by launching airstrikes close to the Polish border, raising fears in the West that the fight was edging closer to the EU and NATO.

    Fujimori returns to prison after hospital stay

    LIMA (AFP) – Disgraced former Peruvian president Alberto Fujimori returned to prison after an 11-day hospitalisation with heart problems, his daughter announced on Monday.

    The 83-year-old, serving a 25-year sentence for crimes against humanity committed during his presidency, had heart surgery in October.

    “My father was discharged today from the Centenario Clinic to continue his treatment at Barbadillo prison,” tweeted Keiko Fujimori, the ex-president’s daughter and current leader of the opposition party Fuerza Popular.

    “During the day he was taken to the El Golf Clinic for an analysis of the progress of his pulmonary fibrosis,” she added.

    Alberto Fujimori, Peru’s president between 1990 and 2000, was rushed to hospital on March 3 after experiencing an irregular heartbeat.

    Alberto Fujimori was rushed to hospital on March 3 after experiencing an irregular heartbeat

    Myanmar to accept THB for border trade, eyes using INR

    CNA – Myanmar will start accepting the Thai baht currency for settling border trade transactions and is also looking at a similar plan to use the Indian rupee for such trade, the ministries of information and investment said yesterday.

    Myanmar’s military-controlled government said it would also accept China’s renminbi as an official settlement currency.

    “By reducing dependence on the United States (US) dollar, we will mitigate the risk of sudden exchange rate swings due to external geopolitical factors,” the ministries said in a statement, adding the move would help reduce inflation caused by appreciation of the dollar.

    The arrangements would also help support economic recovery, the statement said, adding that – even with rising energy prices – Myanmar should record “modest” GDP growth in the fiscal year ending October 2022.

    The statement accused opponents of trying to trigger distrust in the banking and financial system and said a weaker kyat last year was “stoked by economic sabotage”.

    Registered merchants along the Thai border with Myanmar could from this month conduct trade based on the kyat-baht exchange rate announced daily by Myanmar’s central bank, said the statement.

    Thai and Indian authorities did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

    Thai baht notes at a Kasikornbank in Bangkok, Thailand. PHOTO: CNA

    Call to do more for needy elderly in society

    I recently came across a video depicting an elderly woman lying on a mattress in a house void of furniture. According to the accompanying caption, she shared the home with her husband.

    The footage pulled at my heart’s string because up until then, I was aware of the underprivileged in the Sultanate but never realised they live in such decrepit conditions.

    My question is: Are we doing enough to help the less-fortunate in our society?

    While there are a number of funds set up to help the needy, I’m worried that there are a fair few who slip through the cracks because they haven’t the resources to draw attention to their dire state.

    It’s been two years since COVID-19 hit our shores. We have been hyper-focussed on getting through the health crisis. As a result, we have put a lid once again on local transmissions and prevented a lot of deaths and sufferings. It is something to celebrate.

    However, the issue of poverty is still with us. It was here before the pandemic hit and it is certainly still here, despite countless efforts to tackle unemployment and assist the underprivileged.

    Our drive towards digitalisation is both a blessing and a curse. It has allowed us to practise social and physical distancing effectively; yet it also means the older generation is left to play catch-up to a world that is growing more technological.

    While the elderly in the middle class have their children to depend on, to help with the acquisition of smartphones, which have grown in significance in this pandemic, their peers in the underclass are ignored and overlooked due to their lack of digital access.

    As such, I urge the authorities as well as our society to attend to these underprivileged members in our community. Just because they are not on social media doesn’t mean they don’t exist.

    Exasperated Soul

    Brunei-Indonesia trade sees increase in volume

    Brunei Darussalam and Indonesia recorded an increase of 360 per cent (USD374.2 million) in bilateral trade volume in 2021.

    “Over the past four years, Indonesia has always enjoyed a surplus in trade with Brunei,” Indonesian Ambassador to Brunei Darussalam Dr Sujatmiko said on the sidelines of the introduction with members of the Indonesian Chamber of Commerce (KADIN) Brunei Darussalam Bilateral Committee.

    He added that the surplus “cannot be separated from intensive export promotion efforts with the support of various parties.

    “I am sure this achievement will continue to increase through closer cooperation with business actors, especially the KADIN Brunei Darussalam Bilateral Committee”.

    The meeting, held virtually at the Indonesian Embassy yesterday, also noted that the COVID-19 pandemic was not a barrier for Indonesia’s exports to the Sultanate as 63.9 per cent (USD211.4 million) of increase was recorded in 2021 from the previous year.

    The KADIN Bilateral Committee Brunei Darussalam works in parallel with the Indonesian Business Chamber entrepreneur association to work together with the Indonesian Embassy in Brunei Darussalam in managing the challenges and issues to Indonesia’s exports.

    These include reducing logistics costs through increasing sea and air connectivity, expanding business networks through trade promotion, business matching, and empowering Indonesian micro, small and medium enterprises in Brunei.

    The cooperation is also aimed at attracting Brunei investment, especially in the Nusantara Capital project, as well as the success of Indonesian companies in tendering development projects in Brunei.

    The virtual meeting in progress. PHOTO: INDONESIAN EMBASSY

    Ruthless favourites Australia crush West Indies at World Cup

    WELLINGTON (AFP) – Australia routed the West Indies by seven wickets in Wellington yesterday to maintain their perfect record at the Women’s Cricket World Cup.

    The tournament’s red-hot favourites produced another ruthless display to race to a 4-0 winning record at the one-day showcase, highlighted by an unbeaten 83 from Rachael Haynes.

    The win puts the six-time champions at the top of the standings with a healthy run rate, virtually guaranteeing a semi-final spot.

    The West Indies have won two of their four matches and remain in with a chance of making the top four in the round-robin standings.

    The West Indies won the toss and elected to bat but were stunned when Ellyse Perry took two wickets in successive balls to leave them at 4-2.

    Australia’s Beth Mooney (L) with Rachael Haynes high five teammates after their win. PHOTO: AFP

    “Early wickets up front made a difference in the game that really out us in front and put them under pressure,” Australian captain Meg Lanning said.

    Perry clean bowled Hayley Matthews for duck then coaxed an edge off the first ball faced by
    Kycia Knight.

    It could have been worse but Deandra Dottin and Staphanie Taylor were both given reprieves by the third umpire.

    West Indies skipper Taylor made the most of her chance by battling on to 50 but could not find any support with Shemaine Campbelle the next highest score on 20.

    Perry finished on 3-22 and Ashleigh Gardner took 3-25 as the West Indies were skittled for 131 in 45.5 overs.

    The paltry total was never going to be enough against the strongest batting line-up in women’s cricket, but the West Indies did well to make Australia work for 30.2 overs to reach the 132-run target.

    RT-PCR testing services expanded

    Izah Azahari

    The reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) swab testing services at public and private health centres have now expanded to include those who have just arrived in the Sultanate.

    This was announced by Minister of Health Dato Seri Setia Dr Haji Mohd Isham bin Haji Jaafar in yesterday’s press conference as a follow-up to a recent announcement.

    Health centres that are a part of the programme include Noor Rohaya Clinic in Jalan Pasir Berakas; Jerudong Park Medical Centre (JPMC); Panaga Health Centre in Kuala Belait; UNI Clinic in Kampong Sungai Hanching; Lee Clinic and Dispensaries at Abdul Razak Complex in Gadong; and Dr Amir Clinic in Jalan Tutong.

    Indonesia’s president takes camping trip to site of new capital

    JAKARTA (AFP) – Indonesian President Joko Widodo took a camping trip to the country’s future capital, he said on social media yesterday, posing for photographs in a forest at the site of the new city.

    The country is preparing to move its capital from overcrowded Jakarta to Nusantara, in a megaproject that has come under criticism from environmentalists who warn it could damage ecosystems in the region.

    “Morning, how does it feel to stay overnight at the location of Nusantara? The air was cool and the weather was clear last night,” Widodo posted on Instagram, captioning a picture of the president sitting in front of his tent.

    On Monday, Widodo and governors from across the country inaugurated the site with a ceremony in which they brought soil and water from their respective regions and mixed them together to symbolise the country’s unity.

    The new capital will cover about 56,180 hectares of the eastern part of Borneo Island, which the country shares with Malaysia and Brunei.

    But the project has faced hurdles – with fears over its environmental impact compounded by the loss this week of investor SoftBank Group, which withdrew from the project without explanation.

    Widodo announced plans to move the capital in 2019, citing rising sea levels and severe congestion on the densely populated Java island.

    The move is set to begin in 2024, but Widodo has cautioned the project could take over a decade to finish.

    Indonesia is not the first country in Southeast Asia to relocate an overpopulated capital, with both Malaysia and Myanmar moving their administrative centres in the 2000s.

    World shares sink as virus, war trump strong China data

    BANGKOK (AP) – World share prices have fallen, with Hong Kong down almost six per cent and Shanghai sinking five per cent as virus lockdowns and rising numbers of COVID cases in China threaten to disrupt manufacturing and trade.

    The sell-off gathered pace late in the session despite the release of data showing strong increases in Chinese retail sales, industrial production and investment in January-February. It followed a decision by China’s central bank not to ease interest rates to spur economic growth.

    Prices of oil and other commodities slid as Russian forces pounded the Ukraine capital ahead of another round of talks between the two sides.

    Germany’s DAX lost 2.3 per cent to 13,612.44 and the CAC 40 in Paris was also 2.3 per cent lower at 6,223.67. Britain’s FTSE 100 declined 1.5 per cent to 7,088.89.

    The futures for the S&P 500 and Dow industrials were down 0.7 per cent.

    Anxiety over the war in Ukraine and an upcoming Federal Reserve meeting on interest rates is keeping markets on edge.

    Uncertainty about whether persistently high inflation might stifle the global recovery from the pandemic has caused gyrations in prices for oil, wheat and other commodities produced in the region, bringing day-to-day and hour-to-hour reversals across markets. “Markets appear to have been trafficking in an odd mix of hope, fear and uncertainty,” Mizuho Bank said in a commentary.

    A man walks past a bank’s electronic board showing the Hong Kong share index in Hong Kong. PHOTO: AP

    Shares in Hong Kong have sunk to near six-year lows after the neighbouring city of Shenzhen was ordered into a shutdown to combat China’s worst COVID-19 outbreak in two years.

    The Hang Seng index lost 5.7 per cent to 18,415.08 after wobbling over six per cent lower.

    The Shanghai Composite gave up five per cent to 3,063.97.

    “Fears continue to dog stock markets that lockdowns could spread, which would severely impact China’s growth,” Jeffrey Halley of Oanda said in a commentary.

    Tokyo’s Nikkei 225 rose 0.2 per cent to 25,346.48, while the Kospi in Seoul gave up 0.9 per cent to 2,621.53. Australia’s S&P/ASX 200 slid 0.7 per cent to 7,097.40 and shares also fell in Taiwan and Bangkok.

    Oil prices have tumbled this week, taking some pressure off the inflation sweeping the globe, with a barrel of United States (US) crude falling below USD100 per barrel after touching USD130 last week.

    US crude shed USD5.60 to USD97.41 per barrel in electronic trading on the New York Mercantile Exchange. It tumbled USD6.32 to USD103.01 on Monday.

    Brent crude, the standard for pricing international oils, gave up USD5.94 to USD100.96
    per barrel.

    In other developments, the London Metal Exchange said trading in nickel will resume today, just over a week after it was suspended when the price of the metal skyrocketted to over USD100,000 per tonne.

    The announcement followed a notice from Tsingshan Holding Group, a Chinese metals giant, that it had struck a deal with its creditors on a “standstill arrangement” such that the banks would not make margin calls or close out their positions against it while the company is resolving its nickel margin and settlement requirements.

    Russia is the world’s number three producer of nickel. It’s price and that of many other commodities has surged on speculation over possible disruptions to supplies as Russia contends with widening economic sanctions following its invasion of Ukraine.

    Investors were already uneasy before the war began because central banks around the world are preparing to shut off the stimulus they pumped into the global economy after the
    pandemic struck.

    The Federal Reserve is expected to raise its key short-term interest rate by a quarter of a percentage point tidayin the first such increase since 2018, pulling the federal funds rate off its record low of nearly zero.

    The challenge is to raise rates just quickly and high enough to bat down inflation without overdoing it and causing a recession.

    On Monday, the S&P 500 gave up an early gain and closed 0.7 per cent lower while the Dow Jones Industrial Average was essentially unchanged. The Nasdaq fell two per cent and the Russell 2000 index slid 1.9 per cent.

    In currency dealings, the dollar fell to JPY117.95 from JPY118.18 on Monday. The euro rose to USD1.1006 from USD1.0941.

    Stop exploiting QO food ration

    I would like to applaud the authorities for the swift action during this third COVID-19 wave.

    Now that the peak of transmission is behind us, I can only hope that we can finally focus our attention on recovery.

    I fully support the use of BruHealth app in contact tracing; it has allowed us to control the spread of the virus. The additional features, such as requesting for food ration, are also helpful.

    However, I have noticed some on quarantine order exploiting the good will of the authorities by getting multiple members of the same household to obtain food ration.

    This is such a selfish behaviour, especially in times of crisis. There are underprivileged people out there who need the assistance too. I hope the authorities could call these people out on the daily press conference. Even if it doesn’t get through to them, their relatives and friends may try to put a stop to it.

    Disappointed Citizen

    Trending News