SHANGHAI (CNA) – The Chinese commercial hub of Shanghai is pushing ahead with a mass testing initiative as it tries to curb a new spike in COVID-19 infections, but some districts were easing lockdown rules in an effort to minimise disruptions.
The city, home to some 25 million people, saw symptomatic local community infections hit 57 on March 17, with another 203 domestically transmitted asymptomatic cases, up from eight and 150 respectively a day earlier.
Shanghai, which has up to now remained relatively unscathed by the coronavirus, shut schools and launched a city-wide testing programme that has seen dozens of residential compounds sealed off for at least 48 hours.
China has been battling its worst COVID-19 outbreak since the virus first emerged in Wuhan in 2020. It reported 2,388 new local cases with confirmed symptoms on March 17, almost double the count a day earlier.
The outbreak is small by international standards and analysts have been debating how much China’s “zero-COVID” response will hurt the economy at home and in the world at large.
President Xi Jinping signalled on Thursday that the “dynamic clearance” policy to contain the outbreak would not be ditched.
“Victory comes from perseverance,” Xi told a Politburo standing committee meeting while calling for more effective measures and efforts to minimise the economic impact, state
media reported.
The Shanghai government, while stressing there would be no city-wide lockdown as in other cities, said it would test residents on a neighbourhood by neighbourhood basis, and order 48-hour lockdowns while they waited for their results.
A delivery man walks by police officers with protective suits outside of hotel in Shanghai. PHOTO: AP
WELLINGTON, NEW ZEALAND (AP) – Samoa will go into lockdown from today as it faces its first outbreak of COVID-19 after a woman who was about to leave the country
tested positive.
Although health authorities have so far found just a single case, it is the first time Samoa has found any unexplained cases in the community and likely points to an undetected outbreak that has been going on for days or even weeks.
A government report leaked online indicates the woman had visited church services, a hospital, stores, a library and a travel agency since first feeling ill last Saturday.
Samoa and several neighbouring Pacific island nations were among the last places on earth to avoid virus outbreaks. But the more transmissible Omicron variant changed the equation, and one by one the island nations have been succumbing to COVID-19.
Since the start of the year, Kiribati, Tonga, the Solomon Islands, the Cook Islands and American Samoa experienced their first big outbreaks.
From midnight today, schools will be closed, public gatherings will be banned, and stores and other services will be shut down, except those considered essential. From midnight yesterday, people were required to wear masks and use vaccination cards.
There were reports yesterday of panic-buying ahead of the lockdown.
The lockdown is initially scheduled to last through midnight on Tuesday.
About 65 per cent of Samoans have had at least two doses of a coronavirus vaccine, according to Our World in Data.
The Bangladesh High Commission in Brunei Darussalam celebrated the 102nd birth anniversary of the Father of the Nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman and the National Children’s Day on Thursday.
Bangladesh High Commissioner to Brunei Darussalam Nahida Rahman Shumona paid homage to the founding father of Bangladesh by placing a floral wreath at his portrait.
The programme included the hoisting of the Bangladesh national flag, observing a one-minute silence, and the reading out of the messages from the Bangladeshi President, Prime Minister, Foreign Minister and State Minister for Foreign Affairs.
A documentary on Bangabandhu was screened, focussing on his struggle, dedication and profound love for the people of Bangladesh.
The Bangladesh High Commissioner said the emergence of Bangladesh as an independent nation to Bangabandhu is truly inspirational for people across all generations and regions in the world.
Bangladesh High Commissioner to Brunei Darussalam Nahida Rahman Shumona; Legislative Council member Yang Berhormat Nik Hafimi binti Abdul Haadii and guests at an online programme celebrating Bangabandhu’s birth anniversary. PHOTO: BANGLADESH HIGH COMMISSION
Bangabandhu’s love and affection for the children is also equally praiseworthy, she said.
“Despite the huge setback caused by the reprehensible killing of Bangabandhu along with his family members in 1975, Bangladesh is now a country which is widely recognised and appreciated for its socio-economic development,” said the high commissioner.
The high commissioner also invited all Bangladesh community members to visit the ‘Bangabandhu Corner’ inside the Chancery building.
The Bangabandhu Corner comprised books on Bangabandhu and Bangladesh, and pictures of Bangabandhu hanging on the wall.
This was followed by an online programme attended by Legislative Council member Yang Berhormat Nik Hafimi binti Abdul Haadii as the guest of honour.
Dean of the Diplomatic Corps Ambassador of Oman Sheikh Ahmed bin Hashil bin Rashid Al-Maskari, Ambassador of Russia Vladimir Borisovich Goncharenko, Ambassador of Iran Homeira Rigi Zirouki and Charge d’ Affairs of India and Thailand also attended.
The online programme saw cultural performances including paintings of Bangabandhu, dance, recitation of poems and songs on Bangabandhu.
INDIAN WELLS (AFP) – Rafael Nadal left Nick Kyrgios frustrated and fuming with a 7-6 (7/0), 4-7, 6-4 victory in the quarter-finals of the Indian Wells WTA and ATP Masters on Thursday.
The unflappable Spaniard, who claimed a record 21st Grand Slam title at the Australian Open in January, improved to 19-0 in 2022 and notched his sixth win in nine career meetings against the mercurial Aussie, who surrendered the first set on a point penalty, raged at the chair umpire over the disruptive crowd and even had a testy exchange with actor Ben Stiller.
When it was all over Kyrgios flung his racquet once more in disgust, and it bounced toward a ballboy who had to dodge out of the way.
Kyrgios was irked that the unintentional incident garnered as much attention as his sometimes sparkling performance against Nadal, who admitted himself that he was lucky to pocket a first set that Kyrgios was two points away from winning.
Serving for the set at 5-4, Kyrgios climbed to 30-15 only to wind up broken by Nadal.
Nadal said there was luck involved – guessing right, for one, on a mighty Kyrgios serve up the T.
“I put the racquet there, and then I played a good point, and then he make mistake on the break point,” Nadal said.
Rafael Nadal celebrates after defeating Nick Kyrgios. PHOTO: AP
“I feel lucky to win that set because returning with 5-4 against Nick, the chances to win that set are, let’s say, 10 per cent, maybe less. But it happened. I played some good points there.”
The tiebreaker was all Nadal, and Kyrgios, who had already been warned for racquet abuse, gave it up when he was docked a point when a fan’s shout as he prepared to serve provoked a profanity-laced response.
Kyrgios was able to get back on terms, gaining the only break of the second set in the final game with a stylish backhand volley.
Unable to convert two break points in the second game of the third set, Kyrgios gave up a break with a double fault that saw Nadal seize a 4-3 lead.
It proved the only opening the Spaniard would need as he stepped up the pressure on Kyrgios’ serve and held his own with ease.
“That one hit pretty hard,” Kyrgios said. “I felt like, honestly, I was the one to end the streak. I felt like I was playing well. I felt like I did everything right in the first set that I planned to do.
“I mean, he’s too good, I guess. He played a few points well and he got out of it and that’s what he does. That’s what makes him great.”
Kyrgios insisted that he wasn’t hindered by his emotional response to the crowd – and his perception that umpire Carlos Bernardes wasn’t doing enough to control the disruptive spectators.
“It was an amazing atmosphere,” said Kyrgios. “I was focussed. Just because I have an outburst doesn’t mean I’m not focussed.”
Nadal, who hasn’t been shy about criticising Kyrgios in the past, agreed. “Nick is one of the most talented players on the tour without a doubt,” Nadal said. “When he’s playing with motivation and passion he’s one of the players that can damage your game and win
against anyone.”
But Kyrgios was belligerent when pressed about the post-match racquet smash, saying it was unfair that the fact that he inadvertently sent it flying toward the ballboy would be remembered more than his quarter-final run.
“It was an accident,” he said. “I played three good matches … and everyone will just remember that time where Kyrgios lost to Rafa at Indian Wells or the time that he threw the racquet.” Nadal booked an intriguing semi-final showdown against 18-year-old compatriot Carlos Alcaraz, who beat defending champion Cameron Norrie of Britain 6-4, 6-3.
Alcaraz, who won the Rio de Janeiro title in February, is the second-youngest Indian Wells ATP semi-finalist ever after 17-year-old Andre Agassi in 1988.
The Spanish flag was still flying in the women’s draw as well after defending champion Paula Badosa beat Veronika Kudermetova 6-3, 6-2 to set up a semi-final clash with Greece’s Maria Sakkari.
Sakkari, coming off a run to the final in Saint Petersburg that helped propel her past Badosa into sixth in the world rankings, beat Kazakhstan’s Elena Rybakina 7-5, 6-4.
RIYADH (AFP) – The six-nation Gulf bloc said on Thursday it seeks to host discussions between Yemen’s warring sides in Saudi Arabia, despite the Houthi rebels’ rejection of talks in “enemy countries”.
The secretary-general of the Saudi-based Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC), Nayef al-Hajraf, told reporters discussions would be held between March 29 and April 7 in Riyadh.
“Invitations will be sent to all and the conference will be held in attendance of those who come,” he said. “We hope that everyone will participate and not miss this opportunity.”
But the Huthis said earlier on Thursday that while they were open to finding a peaceful solution to the seven-year war, they would not travel to Saudi Arabia.
“We will welcome an invitation to dialogue that does not take place in enemy countries,” a Huthi official said on condition of anonymity.
“We will always extend our hand for peace,” the official told AFP.
The GCC – which includes Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Kuwait, Oman and Bahrain – had earlier this week suggested hosting talks between the two sides.
On Wednesday, the UN voiced disappointment after a donors’ conference raised USD1.3 billion, far short of the USD4.27 billion target.
Children walk in flood water outside tents at a camp for internally displaced people in Yemen’s war-ravaged western province of Hodeida. PHOTO: AFP
The second INITIATE Human Capital Summit will take place on May 19 at An-Naura Hall, Yayasan Sultan Haji Hasanal Bolkiah, Complex said organisers yesterday at a press conference.
The summit will gatherer participants in the human resource (HR) industry, including HR officers, students of business and management, academics and career guidance professionals, said Legislative Council (LegCo) member Yang Berhormat Iswandy bin Ahmad, who is also the Co-Chair of INITIATE.
He said the event is aimed at advancing human capital development in Brunei by promoting self competency through hard and soft skills and discovering the best HR practices from industry experts.
Co-Chairperson Muhd Nur Aiman bin Haji Minorhadi said the upcoming event will be a one day event featuring forums for discussions as well as workshops.
The theme will be ‘Building Resilience in Work Culture’ and topics of discussion will elaborate on the contexts and implications of resilience in an organisation.
The second INITIATE Human Capital Summit will also feature the Partners Pavilion that acts as a an exhibition platform to showcase network products and services, share insights as well as open opportunities for collaborations.
ABOVE & BELOW: Legislative Council (LegCo) member Yang Berhormat Iswandy bin Ahmad and INITIATE Co-Chair Muhd Nur Aiman bin Haji Minorhadi. PHOTOS: ADIB NOOR
Cyber Security Brunei (CSB) recently participated in a joint webinar with its counterparts from Malaysia, Indonesia and Singapore.
The online event hosted by CyberSecurity Malaysia (CSM) streamed via YouTube Live in conjunction with Safer Internet Day 2022.
Four panelists representing cyber security organisations – Pengiran Mohd Farid Zulhusni bin Pengiran Aziz of Cyber Security Brunei, Lieutenant Colonel (Rtd) Mustaffa Ahmad of CyberSecurity Malaysia, Adi Nugroho of Badan Siber dan Sandi Negara Indonesia (BSSN), Farhanah Hussin Bagharib and Intan Safinas Mohd Tawfik of Cyber Security Agency of Singapore (CSA) – spoke of the role that Internet users have in creating harmony in the digital community, how to build positive connections online, and the importance of practising ethical online communication.
Each panellist also shared their initiatives to reach the public and promote safe Internet use in their respective country.
Over 500 attendees from Malaysia, Brunei, Indonesia and Singapore viewed the live event and participated in an interactive question-and-answer session.
LUSAKA (XINHUA) – Zambia on Thursday held a state funeral for the country’s fourth president Rupiah Banda.
President Hakainde Hichilema led hundreds of mourners, including foreign leaders, in paying homage to the former president who died last Friday aged 85 after battling with colon cancer since 2020 while others followed the proceedings live on state broadcaster ZNBC.
Among foreign leaders who attended the event held at the Showgrounds in Lusaka, the country’s capital, were Zimbabwean President Emmerson Mnangagwa, Namibian president Hage Geingob, former Malawian president Bakili Muluzi, former Mozambican President Joachim Chissano and former Tanzanian President Jikaya Kikwete.
People lined Independence Avenue as the vehicle procession carrying the casket of the former president moved from Maina Soko Military Hospital to the Showgrounds.
The former president was given a 21-gun salute by the army while jets flew past the Showground area in his honour.
In his address, the Zambian president said Banda’s death has left the country heart-broken especially since it comes a few months after the demise of the country’s first President Kenneth Kaunda.
Soldiers surround the casket of former Zambian president Rupiah Banda. PHOTO: XINHUA
Hichilema said a dark cloud has engulfed the country following the former president’s death but was quick to state that the many contributions he made not only to Zambia but Africa will forever be cherished.
According to the Zambian president, Banda served in many areas in the public service for more than 60 years from the time he was a youth and he showed exemplary leadership.
“President Rupiah Banda’s death has left the nation heartbroken. But even as we mourn him, we do so with a great sense of gratitude to our Creator for having given him to us,” he said, describing the former president as a patriot and peacemaker and adding that he played a pivotal role during last year’s generation elections by encouraging all the aspirants to accept the will of the people.
He said Banda’s decision to peacefully handover power when he lost the 2011 presidential election showed that he had the interest of the nation at heart which African leaders must learn from.
COLOMBO (AFP) – Cash-strapped Sri Lanka has secured a billion-dollar credit line from India to buy urgently needed food and medicine, officials said yesterday, as the International Monetary Fund (IMF) confirmed it would discuss a possible bailout.
The South Asian nation is suffering its worst economic crisis since independence in 1948, with crippling shortages of essentials and fears it will default on its foreign debt or ask bondholders to take a “haircut” on repayments.
India and Sri Lanka formally entered into the credit agreement on Thursday during Finance Minister Basil Rajapaksa’s visit to New Delhi, Treasury Secretary Sajith Attygalle told reporters in Colombo.
“India stands with Sri Lanka,” Indian Foreign Minister S Jaishankar said on Twitter. “USD1 billion credit line signed for supply of essential commodities.”
The latest loan was on top of another USD500-million Indian credit line to help its island neighbour buy oil. Meanwhile, the IMF yesterday confirmed it was considering President Gotabaya Rajapaksa’s surprise Wednesday request to discuss a bailout.
Socialist Youth Union members scuffle with police as they attempt to enter the president’s office during a protest against the worst economic crisis in memory in Colombo, Sri Lanka. PHOTO: AP
“We will discuss with the authorities how best we can assist Sri Lanka going forward,” IMF spokesman Gerry Rice said in a statement to reporters in the capital.
Rajapaksa’s announcement that he would go to the IMF – a U-turn from his previous position – increases the likelihood that Sri Lanka will seek to renegotiate some of its estimated USD51 billion in foreign debts.
Rice said the IMF had already highlighted the urgent need for Sri Lanka to implement a “credible and coherent strategy to restore macroeconomic stability and debt sustainability.”
Around USD6.9 billion of Colombo’s debt needs to be serviced this year. Its foreign currency reserves stood at about USD2.3 billion at the end of February.
Sri Lanka earlier this year asked one of its main creditors, China, to help put off debt payments, but there has been no official response yet from Beijing.
SYDNEY (AFP) – Australia suffered a major setback yesterday ahead of their must-win World Cup qualifier against Japan next week with coach Graham Arnold testing positive for COVID-19.
Australia were already missing star playmaker Aaron Mooy after he too tested positive and was ruled out of the clash in Sydney on March 24.
Arnold took a PCR test on Thursday ahead of his arrival in the team camp, with the result meaning he needs to self-isolate for seven days.
As long as he tests negative on the day of the match, the 58-year-old would be out in time to be on the sidelines.
“Until his period of self-isolation concludes, Arnold will remain connected to Australia’s squad and staff digitally,” Football Australia said.
The Socceroos meet four-time Asian champions Japan ahead of a showdown with Saudi Arabia in Jeddah five days later.
They need to win both matches to ensure automatic qualification for the World Cup in Qatar later this year. Japan will book their spot if they beat the Socceroos.
Australia are three points adrift of Japan, with first-placed Saudi Arabia a further point ahead in Asian Group B.
Regardless of the results, Australia are guaranteed to finish at least third and move to a play-off against the third-placed team in Asian Group A.