CNA – Malaysian garment and textile retailer Jakel Group preliminarily estimated almost MYR100 million in losses after a fire broke out at one of its branches on Sunday.
Its managing director Mohamed Faroz Mohamed Jakel said the amount only involved the value of the Shah Alam building, known as Wisma Jakel, and the actual losses have yet to be determined.
The blaze, which took several hours to extinguish, completely destroyed the five-storey store on new year’s day.
Photos of the incident shared by local authorities as well as social media users showed fierce flames as well as billowing smoke from the corner lot, near a busy traffic intersection.
Mohamed Faroz said the fire was believed to have started at 7am and he was informed about it at about 7.20am by his brother, who is the branch manager.
Shah Alam District Police Chief Mohd Iqbal Ibrahim said a short circuit was believed to be the cause of the fire and no casualties were reported.
The Selangor Fire and Rescue Department (JBPM) said it mobilised its K9 Dog Detection Unit yesterday to carry out forensic work.
Selangor JBPM Director Norazam Khamis said the Wisma Jakel building was completely burnt in the fire, and that firefighters were initially able to control the blaze before it spread to the rest of the building which was used as a storage facility.
The fire was brought back under control at 3pm before it was extinguished several hours later.