Friday, April 12, 2024
30 C
Brunei Town

Support mounts for Stoltenberg to stay on in NATO’s top job

BRUSSELS (AP) – Support mounted on Thursday for NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg to have his mandate at the head of the world’s biggest security organisation extended yet again as Denmark’s prime minister ruled herself out of the running.

Stoltenberg, a former Norwegian prime minister, has been NATO’s top civilian official since 2014. His term was due to expire last year but was extended to keep a steady hand at the helm after the invasion of Ukraine in February 2022.

United States President Joe Biden and his NATO counterparts are due to choose a successor when they meet for a summit in Vilnius, Lithuania, on July 11-12.

No candidate has been proposed publicly, and leaders usually decide by consensus on who should be appointed. NATO is keen to name a woman to the top post, and Denmark’s Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen, was thought to be a favourite after a meeting with Biden earlier this month.

In a televised interview on Thursday, Frederiksen said, “No, I am not on my way to NATO.”

But she did say that she would back Stoltenberg if he was willing to extend his mandate.

Stoltenberg himself has said he will not seek a fourth extension to his mandate.

An economist by training, he was due to become the next governor of the Norwegian central bank when the simmering conflict in Ukraine escalated to full-scale war last year.

At NATO headquarters, German Defence Minister Boris Pistorius made clear that he would back an extension for Stoltenberg if that became necessary.

Jens Stoltenberg. PHOTO: AP
spot_img

Latest

spot_img