SANDAKAN (BERNAMA) – Sandakan has recorded an increase of 1,115 per cent in dengue cases this year, until September 10, compared to the same period last year, said Sandakan Health officer Dr Johari Awang Besar.
Dr Johari said a total of 863 cases were recorded since January compared to 71 cases for the same period last year, while outbreaks also increased to 121 compared to six outbreaks for the same period last year. “Today we have 61 localities with active dengue cases, of which six are hotspots namely Kampung Tinusa 2 Darat, Kampung Tinusa 2 Laut, Taman Indah Jaya Fasa 1, Taman Mawar Fasa 4, Kampung Bahagia and Taman Damai.
“Sandakan also recorded three deaths, one each in Kampung Tinusa 2 Laut, Kampung Perpaduan and Taman Sri Rimba, where the victims had a history in the hotspot areas,” he told reporters after attending a hygiene and health inspection operation at a bread and cake factory yesterday.
Dr Johari said among the failures to control the spread of the disease are failure of the authorities to enter premises to make inspections and conduct fogging due to the absence of occupants and complete closure of premises.
He said his team also requested the assistance of the police as well as the fire and rescue department and Sandakan Municipal Council enforcement to gain access to empty premises to conduct inspections and eliminate mosquito breeding grounds. He advised Sandakan residents to take a serious view of the rise in dengue cases and to cooperate with the Health Department in efforts to eliminate the breeding grounds for mosquitoes.