21.9 C
Brunei
Sunday, November 27, 2022
21.9 C
Brunei
Sunday, November 27, 2022
More
    - Advertisement -

    Philips warns of fresh hit from respirator recall

    THE HAGUE (AFP) – Dutch health technology firm Philips warned yesterday that it would take a further EUR1.3-billion (USD1.26-billion) hit from a huge recall of faulty sleep respirators.

    Philips said it was currently negotiating with the United States (US) Department of Justice (DOJ) over a final settlement on the faulty sleep equipment that puts users at risk of inhaling toxic foam.

    Shares in Philips dropped 10 per cent in early trading on the Amsterdam stock exchange after it issued the warning for the third quarter of the year, ahead of its full results later in October.

    “Philips expects to record a EUR1.3 billion non-cash charge in the third quarter for the impairment of goodwill of its sleep and respiratory care business,” Philips said in a statement.

    Chief Executive Frans van Houten said in a call with investors that the figure was based on a “reasonable estimate”, but that a deal with US authorities had “not been fully negotiated at this time”.

    Philips says it was currently negotiating with the United States Department of Justice over a final settlement on the faulty sleep equipment that puts users at risk of inhaling toxic foam. PHOTO: THE STAR

    Van Houten is stepping down next week – six months earlier than expected – after 12 years in the post during which Philips has transitioned from an electronics giant to a healthcare firm.

    Philips Chief Financial Officer Abhijit Bhattacharya added that “we are in discussions with the DOJ and cannot speculate on the outcome, content or the timing of any agreement”.

    The Amsterdam-based firm has already set aside nearly EUR900 million for replacing and repairing the devices.

    It recalled the respirators in June last year after announcing that users were at risk of inhaling or swallowing pieces of degraded sound-dampening foam.

    Philips said it also expected a five-per-cent decline in sales to around EUR4.3 billion in the third quarter due to supply chain issues that were “more significant than anticipated”.

    Incoming CEO Roy Jakobs said he would focus on the respirator recall and improving quality processes, as well as improving the firm’s performance in a “turbulent world”.

    “We must, can and will improve,” Jakobs, who has in recent months been overseeing the respirator recall, said in the call.

    - Advertisement -
    - Advertisement -
    spot_img

    Latest article

    - Advertisement -
    spot_img