Monday, June 24, 2024
26 C
Brunei Town

Philippine police on the search for six kidnapped Chinese nationals

ANN/THE STRAITS TIMES – Philippine authorities were trying to track the whereabouts of six Chinese nationals who were abducted in the capital region earlier this week, police said yesterday.

Police anti-kidnapping chief Cosme Abrenica said the authorities were investigating the abduction of nine people on Monday in an upscale neighbourhood in southern Metro Manila.

Six of the victims were Chinese, who remain missing, and three were Filipino who were released shortly after they were abducted.

“We have no information if it’s kidnap-for-ransom, kidnapping or what the motive is. We haven’t established it yet,” Brigadier-General Abrenica said.

Brigadier-General Abrenica did not disclose the identities of the victims or give any details on their status in the Philippines.

Philip Aguilar, the police chief of Calauan town where the Filipino victims were recovered, said one of the survivors told the police that the kidnappers had barged into their home before dawn on Monday.

The Chinese embassy in Manila said it had noted a request from the media for comment.

While the police said the motive for the kidnapping was not known, China has, in the past, complained to the Philippines about its citizens being lured to work in online gaming firms and then being cheated, extorted and exposed to “modern slavery”.

Six of the victims were Chinese and three were Filipino who were released shortly after abduction. PHOTO: THE STRAITS TIMES
spot_img

Latest

spot_img