Universiti Brunei Darussalam’s (UBD) Shell Eco-marathon Organisation (SEMO) is set to compete in the Shell Eco-marathon Asia Pacific and Middle East 2025 in Doha, Qatar, from February 8 to 12.
The team, Belia Tabah, comprises 10 engineering, science, and business students dedicated to developing energy-efficient vehicles.
They are led on-site by Dr Muhammad Abid and Pengiran Haji Baharuddin bin Pengiran Haji Abdul Momin, with Dr Quentin Cheok providing local support.
A send-off event was held at Brunei International Airport attended by UBD Vice-Chancellor Dr Hazri bin Haji Kifle, assistant vice-chancellors and UBD staff among others.
Dr Hazri commending the students’ dedication, said, “Their commitment to innovation and sustainability is commendable, and we believe they will showcase Brunei Darussalam’s talent and ingenuity on the global stage.”
Months of preparation have gone into refining the vehicle’s aerodynamics, energy efficiency, and design.
Team manager Mohammad Hifdzur Azmi bin Haji Mohd Zain said, “Returning to the Shell Eco-marathon is an exciting opportunity for us to build upon our previous experience.”
Driver Ahmad Muzakker bin Haji Khalid added, “Driving for Belia Tabah is both an honour and a responsibility. Our goal is to push the limits of energy efficiency while maintaining safety and performance.”
The Shell Eco-marathon is a globally recognised competition challenging student teams to design, build, and drive energy-efficient vehicles.
Universiti Brunei Darussalam Vice-Chancellor Dr Hazri bin Haji Kifle talks to the students. PHOTO: UBD
The Ministry of Health (MoH) has introduced the pneumococcal conjugate vaccine (PCV) into Brunei Darussalam’s Expanded Programme on Immunisation, effective February 1 as part of efforts to protect infants and children from pneumococcal diseases.
With this addition, the immunisation programme now includes 12 vaccines to prevent 12 vaccine-preventable diseases. Vaccinations under the programme are provided free of charge at Maternal and Child Health Clinics nationwide.
According to the MoH, the introduction of PCV aligns with World Health Organization (WHO) recommendations to enhance protection against pneumococcal infections among children.
The move underscores the government’s commitment to safeguarding children’s health and supporting a healthier future for the nation.
PCV protects against infections caused by streptococcus pneumoniae, a leading cause of serious illnesses such as pneumonia, meningitis, and sepsis, particularly among children under five.
The vaccine will be administered in three doses at two months, four months, and 12 months as part of the routine immunisation schedule.
A catch-up immunisation programme for infants and children born between February 2023 and January 2025 will also begin in February 2025. Parents will be contacted by their Maternal and Child Health Clinic to arrange vaccinations. – James Kon
The Ministry of Health is constructing a new elevator at the National Dental Centre, Berakas, as part of ongoing efforts to enhance public accessibility and convenience. The ministry advised visitors to exercise caution around the construction area. – James Kon
Brunei saw a 92 per cent increase in international visitors last year compared to 2023, reflecting the success of targeted initiatives, including cultural and nature-based tourism products, infrastructure upgrades and international promotional campaigns.
This was revealed during a dialogue session chaired by Minister of Primary Resources and Tourism Dato Seri Setia Dr Haji Abdul Manaf bin Haji Metussin with Legislative Council (LegCo) members yesterday.
The session was attended by 19 LegCo members led by Yang Berhormat Mohammad bin Abdullah @ Lim Swee Ann.
The session began with opening remarks by the minister, who outlined the Ministry of Primary Resources and Tourism’s (MPRT) strategic direction and key focus areas in enhancing primary resource industries and tourism. He acknowledged challenges in maintaining economic stability and achieving sustainable growth in agriculture, fisheries, forestry, and tourism, emphasising the need for collective cooperation to address global economic shifts.
Brunei’s tourism sector engaged in international exhibitions, networking sessions, and familiarisation trips for foreign travel agents and influencers. Several memorandums of understanding were also signed to enhance cooperation with international agencies.
A briefing on the achievements, developments and future direction of the primary resources and tourism sectors was presented by Permanent Secretary at the MPRT Hajah Tutiaty binti Haji Abdul Wahab.
Discussions focused on boosting food production, ensuring quality and halal-certified products, and strengthening the industry’s value chain.
Despite challenges, the fisheries sector achieved export breakthroughs, including increased exports of chicken eggs and processed meat products to Singapore, as well as processed food items to Sabah and Sarawak. The ministry also introduced sustainability initiatives such as regenerative agriculture and pesticide-free farming, aligning with the Food Industry Roadmap to support a circular economy and minimise environmental impact.
The Forestry Department reaffirmed its commitment to sustainable forest management, with 37 per cent of the national climate change target of 500,000 trees planted by 2035 already achieved. The ministry also introduced ‘Brunei Wood’ branding to certify high-quality local timber products sourced sustainably, aiming to boost both domestic and international demand. The session concluded with discussions on diversifying agricultural and fisheries production, ensuring food security, and increasing exports, with an emphasis on private sector support, innovation, and competitiveness.
Senior officials from the ministry, deputy permanent secretaries, department directors and section heads were also present at the event held at the Setia Pahlawan Hall, MPRT. – Fadley Faisal
ABOVE & BELOW: Minister of Primary Resources and Tourism Dato Seri Setia Dr Haji Abdul Manaf bin Haji Metussin delivers a briefing; and Legislative Council (LegCo) member Yang Berhormat Mohammad bin Abdullah @ Lim Swee Ann leading the dialogue session. PHOTO: MUIZ MATDANIPHOTO: MUIZ MATDANILegCo members during the dialogue session. PHOTO: MUIZ MATDANI
Dawn Angela Barr, a tourist from Canada found the Kampong Ayer river tour, a lovely and enriching way to experience Brunei’s unique lifestyle while Bernardo Molina from the Philippines was captivated by Brunei’s beauty, expressing a wish for his own country to share a similar charm.
The two tourists were onboard the luxury cruise ship Norwegian Sky which arrived in the Sultanate on Monday.
Meanwhile, Anna Baylosis from Virginia, United States, described her visit to the water village as fascinating, highlighting her mangrove tour where she spotted monkeys and crocodiles while enjoying local tea and delicacies. Arriving from Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia, the vessel brought 1,927 passengers and 865 crew members for a brief yet immersive experience in the Sultanate before continuing its journey to Cam Ranh, Vietnam.
Passengers explored Brunei’s iconic landmarks, including Istana Nurul Iman, Omar ‘Ali Saifuddien Mosque, Kampong Ayer and the mangrove river.
They also experienced Brunei’s rich cultural heritage, enjoying traditional delicacies at a local home in the water village and purchasing unique souvenirs aboard the cruise ship.
This marks the third of at least 11 anticipated cruise ship arrivals this year.
The Norwegian Sky is scheduled for its final visit to Brunei on February 14, further strengthening the Sultanate’s position as a repeat destination for cruise lines and travellers seeking unique cultural experiences. – James Kon
Water taxis seen along the Brunei River in Bandar Seri Begawan. Meanwhile, a Canadian tourist visiting the Sultanate found the Kampong Ayer river tour a lovely and an enriching way to experience Brunei’s unique lifestyle. PHOTO: RAFI ROSLIABOVE & BELOW: The Norwegian Sky docked in Muara; and tourists who arrived in the cruise ship. PHOTO: TOURISM DEVELOPMENT DEPARTMENTPHOTO: TOURISM DEVELOPMENT DEPARTMENT
Digital Brunei conducted its fifth community outreach session, Digital Warga Emas yesterday at Kampong Pandan Community Hall in Belait District, aiming to foster digital literacy among the elderly.
The session featured presentations by the Authority for Info-communications Technology Industry of Brunei Darussalam (AITI) on mobile prepaid re-registration, followed by representatives from Datastream Digital Sdn Bhd, imagine Sdn Bhd, and Progresif Sdn Bhd. Cyber Security Brunei presented on safety measures against artificial intelligence-related scams, while the Royal Brunei Police Force shared cybercrime statistics and case studies.
The Ministry of Religious Affairs concluded the session with a demonstration of the Mushaf Brunei mobile application, which provides digital access to Al-Quran.
Held in collaboration with the Belait District Office and Community Development Department (JAPEM) through the Senior Citizen Activity Centre (PKWE), the session saw over 40 participants, including PKWE members, village heads and Village Consultative Council (MPK) representatives. Legislative Council member and Penghulu of Mukim Bukit Sawat Yang Berhormat Haji Mohd Salleh bin Haji Othman was also in attendance.
Digital Brunei, an initiative under the Digital Economy Council facilitated by AITI, aims to promote digital inclusion and support Brunei Darussalam’s digital transformation in line with Brunei Vision 2035 and the Digital Economy Masterplan 2025. – Daniel Lim
Senior citizens during the community outreach session. PHOTO: DANIEL LIM
Twenty-one Universiti Islam Sultan Sharif Ali (UNISSA) students and alumni participated in the ‘Public Speaking for UNISSA Students and Alumni’ workshop on Monday.
Head coach of Kelab Pidato Perdana Antarabangsa (KEPENTAS) Brunei, Mohammad Affendy bin Haji Junaidi facilitated the workshop organised by UNISSA’s Office of Career Advancement and Industrial Networking and Industry Network (OCeAN). The facilitator shared tips to help participants refine their public speaking skills, highlighting its importance in interviews, meetings, and professional interactions.
The workshop featured practical group presentations, where participants applied professional and effective public speaking techniques.
The session concluded with feedback from the facilitator.
The workshop aimed to equip UNISSA students and alumni with enhanced communication skills and greater self-confidence in public speaking. – Lyna Mohamad
Lucky winners walked away with exciting prizes as the Proton Family Carnival 2025 concluded after a three-day celebration at the Indoor Stadium of Hassanal Bolkiah National Sports Complex parking area and Proton Brunei showroom on Sunday.
In the Drive-Thru & Win promotion, the winners were Nuradilah binti Asri who received BND5,000, Nur Ain binti Abdullah Kwan who won BND3,000 and Md Hasrin bin Zainal who received BND2,000.
Meanwhile, for the Shop & Win promotion, which rewarded customers who made purchases from participating vendors, the winners included Muhd Mahlee Alwi bin Haji Matali who won a Samsung Z Fold 6 sponsored by imagine Sdn Bhd, Arpah binti Haji Baha who received a Samsung Z Flip 6 sponsored by imagine and Nadzatul Elmy Lim who won a Cuckoo Air Purifier (Model R).
Pad and Econ Motors Sdn Bhd Managing Partner Hambali bin Pehin Orang Kaya Shahbandar Dato Seri Paduka Haji Mohd Salleh presented prizes to the winners of the Drive-Thru & Win and Shop & Win contests.
Proton Brunei Head of Sales, Marketing, and Operations Ibnu Sharul bin Dato Seri Laila Jasa Haji Ismail also presented prizes and handed over charity donations to a representative from Pusat Ehsan Al-Ameerah Al-Hajjah Maryam and Society for the Management of Autism Related issues in Training, Education and Resources (SMARTER) Brunei President Pengiran Zamri bin Pengiran Haji Bujang.
The carnival, which featured automotive showcases, entertainment and community engagement activities, also allowed visitors to experience Proton’s latest vehicle lineup. With a lively atmosphere, diverse food and beverage vendors, and interactive experiences, the event provided an enjoyable time for attendees. Proton Brunei expressed its appreciation to customers and the community for their continuous support, highlighting its commitment to customer engagement and corporate social responsibility. – Fadley Faisal
The winners of the Drive-Thru & Win promotion in a group photo. PHOTO: PROTON BRUNEIABOVE & BELOW: The winners of the Shop & Win promotion in a group photo; the presentation of charity donations to a representative from Pusat Ehsan Al-Ameerah Al-Hajjah Maryam; and Society for the Management of Autism Related issues in Training, Education and Resources (SMARTER) Brunei. PHOTO: PROTON BRUNEIPHOTO: PROTON BRUNEIPHOTO: PROTON BRUNEI
The senior management and employees of Aifa Sdn Bhd and its business partners gathered to usher in the Year of the Snake with a Yee Sang tossing ceremony at a restaurant in the capital yesterday.
Aifa Managing Director Dr Andy Lau, in his Chinese New Year greeting, said, “Today we not only share food and laughter, but also build a solid bridge between hearts. We also acknowledge that success of the business come from everyone’s joint efforts and mutual support. We would like to wish all the employees of Aifa a smooth work and step-by-step progression.” – James Kon
Aifa Sdn Bhd management team in a group photo with invited business partners. PHOTO: AIFA
Mimi Nazuwan bin Ibrahim from the Jakusha Bladers team emerged as the winner of the Beyblade X ‘3 on 3 Battle of BCS’ competition after defeating Yusri bin Ramblee from the DBos Beys Team in the final match organised by DBos Beys Beyblade Brunei Darussalam at Teratak DBos, Kampong Mengkubau recently.
Third place went to Nur’Ishfa Nabiqah binti Haji Rosaimi from the DBos Beys Team after defeating Abdul Naim bin Haji Muhd Yussof from the Undergroundz X Team, who ranked fourth.
Meanwhile, the top eight consolation winners were JB Amiruddin bin Haji Abdi Manaf, DB Mainor Azizi bin Haji Maidin, DB Muhammad Syafiq@Rafiq bin Abdul Hamid and DB Danish Irfan bin Riwi.
In the fight for the ‘Jakusha Bladers League for the year 2024/2025’, the Jakusha Bladers team widened the gap by obtaining 215 points, followed by the DBos Beys Team with 178 points, the SA Bladerz Team with 149 points and the Undergroundz X Team with 108 points.
ABOVE & BELOW: The final match in progress; and the participants in a group photo. PHOTO: DBOS BEYS BEYBLADE BRUNEI DARUSSALAMPHOTO: DBOS BEYS BEYBLADE BRUNEI DARUSSALAM