KUALA LUMPUR (ANN/Bernama/THE STAR) – Police have crippled a cross-border drug trafficking syndicate with the seizure of methamphetamine worth MYR16mil in raids in Selangor on March 27.
Bukit Aman Narcotics Criminal Investigation Department (NCID) acting director Deputy Comm Mat Zani @ Mohd Salahuddin Che Ali said this followed the arrest of two local men after the police stopped their car in Subang Jaya at 7.20am that day.
“Police searched the car and found six sacks containing 150 packages of methamphetamine weighing 156kg in the rear passenger seat and under the bonnet. Following the arrest, we raided a homestay in the same area which was used as a store and seized 12 sacks containing 300 packages of drugs weighing 312kg,” he told a press conference at Bukit Aman here on Friday (April 4).
DCP Mat Zani said another raid was conducted at 1pm the same day at a warehouse in Taman Bukit Permai, Ampang, which led to the discovery of two more sacks containing the same type of drug weighing 51kg.
“The syndicate is believed to have been active since September and rented like homestays daily to store drugs before distributing them to the local and overseas markets. The homestay used in this case had been rented at MYR195 per day since March 26,” he said.
DCP Mat Zani said the seized drugs were believed to have been brought in from a neighbouring country.
Both suspects tested negative for drugs but one of them had a prior offence under Section 76 of the Excise Act 1976.
“The case is being investigated under Section 39B of the Dangerous Drugs Act 1952 and both suspects are on remand for 11 days from March 28 to April 7,” DCP Mat Zani added.