Sunday, June 23, 2024
29 C
Brunei Town

Man charged in random assault on actor Steve Buscemi

NEW YORK (AP) — A man wanted in connection with the random attack on actor Steve Buscemi on a New York City street earlier this month was arrested on an assault charge Friday, police said.

The 66-year-old star of “Boardwalk Empire” and “Fargo” was walking in midtown Manhattan on May 8 when a stranger punched him in the face, city police said. He was taken to a hospital with bruising, swelling and bleeding to his left eye, but was otherwise OK, his publicist said at the time.

Police charged a 50-year-old homeless man with second-degree assault on Friday afternoon in the same precinct where Buscemi was attacked. Authorities announced on Tuesday that they had identified the man as the suspect and were looking for him.

It was not immediately clear if the man had an attorney who could respond to the allegations. A phone message was left at the local public defenders’ office.

Buscemi’s publicist did not immediately return a message. In previous comments, they said the actor was “another victim of a random act of violence in the city” and that he was OK.

In March, Buscemi’s “Boardwalk Empire” co-star Michael Stuhlbarg was hit in the back of the neck with a rock while walking in Manhattan’s Central Park. Stuhlbarg chased his attacker, who was taken into custody outside the park.

Actor Steve Buscemi attends the premiere of “The Dead Don’t Die” at the Museum of Modern Art, June 10, 2019, in New York. PHOTO: AP
spot_img

Latest

spot_img