KUALA LUMPUR (BERNAMA) – The Malaysian government has expressed its commitment to find the best strategy to resolve the issue on the claims by self-proclaimed Sulu heirs, said Datuk Seri Dr Wan Junaidi Tuanku Jaafar.
The Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department (Parliament and Law) said the government would ensure victory for the sake of national interest and to maintain the country’s sovereignty.
“The government is also confident that all actions and strategies that are being and will be implemented to deal with this issue will yield positive results with the support of all parties, especially Malaysians,” he said in a statement yesterday.
He said the task force set up to handle the matter had its first meeting on Wednesday, which among others, discussed legal action that had been taken by the Malaysian government in Spain and France to deal with the claim, as well as the issue on the payment of USD5,300 per year.
According to him, the ‘Final Award’ issued by the Paris Arbitration Court on February 28 did not touch on the issue of the Sabah claim or the sovereignty of the state by the Sulu group.
Wan Junaidi said the task force also took note of the appointment of Dr Gondoza Stampa as arbitrator and all procedural actions taken by him had been revoked based on the decision of the High Court of Madrid, dated June 29, 2021.
“Based on the decision dated June 29, 2021, the High Court of Madrid ruled that the ‘Partial Award on Jurisdiction’ made on May 25, 2020 by Dr Stampa is null and void.”