Sunday, June 23, 2024
24 C
Brunei Town

Malayan Tigers beat Wasps in international friendly

Fadhil Yunus

Brunei Darussalam’s national team endured a 4-0 defeat to Malaysia in a tier one international friendly match at the Bukit Jalil National Stadium in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia on Friday night.

The Wasps fell behind in the 16th minute after Muhammad Syafiq Ahmad’s glancing header in the near post left Brunei goalkeeper Muhammad Haimie Abdullah Nyaring no chance.

The Malayan Tigers enjoyed a succession of opportunities with Mohammad Syamer Kutty Abba seeing his shot sail wide.

Malaysia forward Muhammad Syafiq’s improvised shot in the box was tipped away to safety by the visiting goalkeeper.

The hosts doubled their lead as Mohammad Syamer struck a low finish home after playing a neat one-two with a teammate deep into injury time in the first half.

He nearly doubled his tally after his teammate played an exquisite ball over the top of the Brunei defence but contrived to shoot wide.

Brunei Darussalam and Malaysia national teams play an international friendly in Kuala Lumpur. PHOTO: FAM

Kim Pan Gon’s charges signalled their attacking intent early in the second half as substitute Guilherme De Paula Lucrecio headed wide after connecting a cross from Ruventhiran Vengadeson.

The hosts extended their lead as Mohamad Faisal Abdul Halim powered home a fierce drive after latching onto a pass from Guilherme.

Guilherme had a chance to make it 4-0 but his shot from close range ended wide as Brunei was left off the hook. Malaysia forward Muhammad Safawi Rashid showed flashes of individual brilliance as his fine attempt sailed just wide.

Malaysia defender Muhammad Syahmi Safari managed a shot on target pushed away by Haimie before the Brunei defence cleared the ball.

The home side were awarded a penalty after Brunei defender Amirul Hakeem Haji Kasim tripped Malaysia’s substitute Muhammad Akhyar Abdul Rashid.

Guilherme made no mistake from the spot to make it 4-0 seven minutes before time.

Brunei had a rare chance near the end of the game, but Malaysia goalkeeper Mohd Khairulazhan Mohd Khalid comfortably saved a shot from substitute Abdul Azizi Ali Rahman.