27.6 C
Brunei
Thursday, February 2, 2023
27.6 C
Brunei
Thursday, February 2, 2023
More
    - Advertisement -

    Ex-Philippine police, six others charged in cockfight kidnappings

    MANILA (AFP) – Three former Philippine police officers and six others have been charged with kidnapping after a spate of mysterious disappearances in the country’s massive cockfighting industry, authorities said yesterday, with dozens of victims feared dead.

    The justice department said in a statement that prosecutors had found probable cause to file charges against the three then-policemen for allegedly robbing and abducting a man from his house.

    Philippine police have said the victim, accused of operating a fake betting website, was taken from his home in August last year.

    The force said five officers were dismissed over the case, including the three being charged. Six cockpit security personnel are also being charged with kidnapping after witnesses saw them bundle six players into a van against their will during a Manila cockfight last January.

    A Senate investigation found the players were suspected of sabotaging their roosters so they would lose, while secretly betting on their opponents.

    There are at least 27 people still missing in other suspected kidnappings linked to cockfighting around metro Manila.

    State prosecutors are investigating some of the other cases, but have yet to file charges

    Police have said that many of the victims were last seen alive inside the country’s raucous cockpits.

    Justice Secretary Jesus Remulla has said all 34 people missing in the cases are likely dead.

    People watch a cockfighting match at the San Pedro Coliseum in Laguna province. PHOTO: AFP
    - Advertisement -
    - Advertisement -
    spot_img

    Latest article

    - Advertisement -
    spot_img