Friday, April 4, 2025
26 C
Brunei Town
More

    Earthquake aftermath

    BANGKOK (AP) – Rescue crews in Myanmar pulled a 26-year-old man out alive from the rubble of the capital city hotel where he worked, but most teams were finding only bodies five days after a massive earthquake hit the country.

    After using an endiscopic camera to pinpoint Naing Lin Tun’s location in the rubble and confirm that he was alive, the man was gingerly pulled through a hole jackhammered through a floor and loaded on to a gurney nearly 108 hours after he was trapped in the hotel where he worked.

    Shirtless and covered in dust, Naing Lin Tun appeared weak but conscious in a video released by the local fire department, as he was fitted with an IV drip and taken away. State-run MRTV reported that the rescue in the city of Naypyitaw was carried out by a Turkish and local team and took more than nine hours.

    The 7.7 magnitude earthquake hit midday on Friday, toppling thousands of buildings, collapsing bridges and buckling roads. So far, 2,886 people have been reported dead in Myanmar and another 4,639 injured, according to state television MRTV, but local reports suggest much higher figures.

    Myanmar has been wracked by civil war and the earthquake is making a dire humanitarian crisis even worse, with more than three million people displaced from their homes and nearly 20 million in need even before it hit, according to the United Nations (UN).

    ABOVE & BELOW: A rescuer works through rubble of a collapsed building; and people inspecting damage caused by the earthquake in Myanmar. PHOTO: AFP
    PHOTO: AFP
    A Buddhist monk gestures near a damaged pagoda in Amarapura township in Mandalay, Myanmar. PHOTO: AFP
    A bridge that collapsed after the earthquake in the Sagaing region, Myanmar. PHOTO: AFP

    CLAIMS OF AN ATTACK ON A CHINESE RED CONVEY

    The Three Brotherhood Alliance, one of a powerful group of militias that has taken a large swath of the country from the military, announced a unilateral one-month ceasefire on Tuesday to facilitate the humanitarian response. The shadow opposition National Unity Government had already called a ceasefire for its forces, but attacks have continued since the quake. Most recently, an opposition militia belonging to the Brotherhood Alliance reported that the military fired on a relief convoy of nine Chinese Red Cross vehicles on a road in the northern part of Shan state near Ohn Ma Tee village.

    The Ta’ang National Liberation Army said the Chinese Red Cross was bringing supplies to Mandalay and had reported its route to the military.

    But Major General Zaw Min Tun told state-run MRTV that the convoy had not notified authorities of its route ahead of time. While not mentioning the Red Cross, he said security forces had fired into the air to deter a convoy that refused to stop near Ohn Ma Tee village, the site of recent fighting with the TNLA.

    Asked about he incident, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Guo Jiakun did not comment on the attack, but said “relief supplies provided by the Red Cross Society of China to Myanmar have arrived in Myanmar and are on the way to Mandalay,” adding that “rescue personnel and supplies are safe.”

    On Tuesday, Tom Andrews, a monitor on rights in Myanmar commissioned by the UN-backed Human Rights Council, said on X that military attacks must stop to facilitate aid. “The focus in Myanmar must be on saving lives, not taking them,” he said.

    MORE INTERNATIONAL AID HEADS TO MYANMAR

    Countries have pledged millions in assistance to help Myanmar and humanitarian aid organisations with the monumental task ahead. Australia yesterday said it was providing another USD4.5 million, in addition to USD1.25 million it had already committed, and had a rapid response team on the ground. India has flown in aid and sent two Navy ships with supplies as well as providing some 200 rescue workers. Multiple other countries have sent teams, including 270 people from China, 212 from Russia and 122 from the United Arab Emirates.

    A three-person team from the United States (US) Agency for International Development arrived on Tuesday to determine how best to respond given limited US resources due to the slashing of the foreign aid budget and dismantling of the agency as an independent operation.

    Washington said on the weekend it would provide USD2 million in emergency assistance.

    EXTENT OF DEVASTATION BEYOND MAJOR CITIES IS STILL UNCLEAR

    Most of the details so far have come from Mandalay, Myanmar’s second-largest city, which was near the epicenter of the earthquake, and the capital Naypyitaw, about 270 kilometres north of Mandalay.

    Many areas are without power, telephone or cell connections, and difficult to reach by road, but more reports are beginning to trickle in.

    In Singu township, about 65 kilometres north of Mandalay, 27 gold miners were killed in a cave-in, the independent Democratic Voice of Burma reported.

    In the area of Inle Lake, northeast of the capital, many people died when homes built on wooden stilts in the water collapsed in the earthquake, the government’s official Global New Light of Myanmar reported without providing specific figures.

    spot_img

    Related News

    spot_img