The COVID-19 Steering Committee on Tuesday announced the discontinuation of the Early Endemic Phase under the National COVID-19 Recovery Framework which is set to end on Tuesday, 31st May 2022, paving the way for more lifting of restrictions.
At the daily COVID-19 press conference at the Ministry of Health building in Commonwealth Drive, Berakas, Minster at the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO) and Second Minister of Finance and Economy Dato Seri Setia Dr Awang Haji Mohd Amin Liew Abdullah said from 1st June 2022, the guidelines for COVID-19 control measures will be updated including:
- No limitation on the capacity of mass gatherings at home or in halls.
- All sporting activities including competitions or matches are allowed with no limitation on the number of spectators.
- Food preparation for any event at any premises is allowed without any restrictions including buffet meals.
- No age restriction for all congregations at mosques to perform the Friday prayer and five-time daily prayers. However, the condition to use their own prayer mats for Friday prayer and five-time daily prayers will be maintained.
- Body temperature checks to enter premises will no longer be required.
The minister said these changes take into account the stability of the situation of daily COVID-19 infections in the country, high vaccination rates as well as low numbers of severe cases, and bed occupancy rates at isolation centres.
Committee still ironing out land/sea border re-opening procedures
On the re-opening of land borders, the minister shared that the COVID-19 Steering Committee is monitoring and reviewing several requirements, including opening of land and sea borders. “The outcome of these evaluations, subject to the current situation, will be announced to the public at a later date,” he said.
More details on Wednesday’s Borneo Bulletin