Wednesday, February 21, 2024
26 C
Brunei Town

Business area opens for first time since July 4 parade attack

HIGHLAND PARK, ILLINOIS (AP) – A business district that had been blocked since a July 4 parade mass shooting that left seven people dead re-opened on Sunday morning in the Chicago suburb of Highland Park.

The two-block by three-block area consists largely of small shops and restaurants. It had been blocked off with crime scene tape, barricades and uniformed officers since yesterday as the FBI and other law enforcement agencies processed evidence.

The street was generally quiet shortly after police removed the barricades, except for news media vehicles, a few other vehicles and people walking.

“We came out at 5.30 this morning. It was open,” said Dale Miller, 70, who said was walking his dog, Milo, near where the shooting occurred. “This is our first walk of the day.”

He said he did not attend the parade this year but lives about 91 metres away and heard the gunshots, though he didn’t realise what they were until his brother called him from Florida in a panic.

“We just have fireworks going off here, that’s all,” Miller said he told his brother. “So the fireworks weren’t fireworks.”

He got many other calls after word spread about the shooting, including one from his daughter, a teacher in Florida.

A business district blocked since a July 4 parade mass shooting re-opened on Sunday morning in Highland Park, Illinois. PHOTOS: AP
Workers painting steps in a business district in Highland Park

“She called me up in tears and said ‘I’ve lost my safe haven’,” Miller recounted. “’Highland Park was always the one place I could go where I was safe and that’s taken away’.”

Not all businesses re-opened on Sunday. Janice Bruksch, who owns a gelato shop along the stretch of road where the shooting occurred, told WBBM-TV that she plans to re-open Sweet Home Gelato today and to offer free scoops to first responders and children.

“Just to bring some kind of happiness in any way – so a little kid comes in here and gets a free gelato, smiles and walks out, and doesn’t think about that day,” Bruksch said. “That’s great.”

The re-opening of the business district comes two days after funerals started for the seven people who were killed in the shooting. Authorities said attacker fired over 80 rounds into the parade crowd with a semi-automatic rifle.

Robert E Crimo III, 21, has been charged with seven counts of first-degree murder.

Prosecutors expect to bring more charges representing the more than 30 people who were wounded in the attack.

Investigators said Crimo, of neighbouring Highwood, legally purchased five weapons and planned the attack for weeks before he climbed onto the roof of a business along the parade route and opened fire.

Authorities said Crimo fled the parade by blending in with the fleeing crowd, then drove to the Madison, Wisconsin, area, where he contemplated a second attack. He returned to the Highland Park area and his car was spotted by police.

Questions remain about whether Crimo should have been able to legally purchase firearms in Illinois. Illinois State Police officials have defended the approval of his gun licence in December 2019, months after police received reports that he had made suicidal and violent threats.

Miller expressed hope Highland Park will recover.

“It’s a very close-knit city and it’s a city that is really hurting right now, but is not even remotely destroyed,” he said.