Sunday, May 26, 2024
26 C
Brunei Town

Australia charges bouncy castle firm over child deaths

SYDNEY (AFP) – Australian authorities charged a bouncy castle operator yesterday over a 2021 disaster in which six children were killed after strong winds lifted one of the inflatable play structures into the air.

The company, Taz-Zorb, has been charged with breaching health and safety legislation, said Robyn Pearce, the work health and safety regulator in the state of Tasmania, where the tragedy occurred.

Strong winds blew a large inflatable castle into the air at an end-of-term school party in December, 2021, killing six children aged between 11 and 12.

Authorities at the time said the children were thrown from a height of about 10 metres, citing initial witness reports.

Prosecutors filed a complaint alleging Taz-Zorb had “exposed the children to a risk of death or serious injury”, Pearce said.

“Throughout the last year I have continued to meet with the families of the children who died or were injured in this incident and would again like to express my condolences to each of them.”

The company can be punished with a fine of up to AUD1.5 million (USD970,000) for the alleged offence.

Strong winds blew a large inflatable castle into the air at an end-of-term party at Hillcrest Primary School in December 2021, killing six children aged between 11 and 12. PHOTO: THE STRAITS TIMES
spot_img

Latest

spot_img