SANAA (XINHUA) – Yemen’s Houthi rebels said they launched a bomb-laden drone attack at King Khalid Air Base in southwestern Saudi Arabia on Thursday, their second attempted attack against the kingdom in less than 24 hours.
“Our forces targetted King Khalid Air Base in Khamis Mushait city by two explosive-laden drones, hitting the target accurately,” Houthi military spokesman Yehya Sarea said in a statement aired by the group’s al-Masirah TV.
Meanwhile, the Saudi-owned Alarabiya TV cited a statement by the coalition as saying that it has intercepted and destroyed two bomb-laden drones launched by the Houthi militia towards Khamis Mushait.
The attack was the second of its kind against Saudi Arabia in less than 24 hours. Earlier in the day, the Iran-backed militia launched drone attacks at the Saudi capital Riyadh, but the kingdom has made no comment on the alleged attack.
The attacks came nearly a week after Saudi Arabia offered a United Nations (UN)-supervised cease-fire to the Houthis, which they dismissed as “nothing new”.
The Houthis have launched hundreds of cross-border missile and drone attacks on Saudi Arabia since 2015, targetting Saudi cities and oil facilities. Most of the attacks were reportedly foiled by the coalition.
Yemen has been mired in a civil war since late 2014 when the Houthi rebels seized control of several northern Yemeni provinces and forced the internationally-recognised government of Yemen President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi out of the capital Sanaa.
The coalition intervened in the Yemeni conflict in March 2015 to support Hadi’s government.