MIAMI (AFP) – Former world number one Tiger Woods reported for duty at the Players Championship on Tuesday, insisting he was fully recovered from the neck problem which forced him to skip last week’s Arnold Palmer Invitational.
A relaxed-looking Woods said he was no longer suffering pain from the neck strain which he said was linked to the back fusion surgery that allowed him to resume his career.
The 43-year-old showed no sign of discomfort after playing nine holes at TPC Sawgrass in Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida.
“It’s not painful now,” Woods said. “It was getting to the point where it was affecting my setup, my backswing, my through swing,” said Woods. “It was just gradually getting worse.
“That’s just because my lower back is fused, and so the stress has to go somewhere if I don’t have movement, and so it’s very important for me going forward since the surgery to keep pliable or else the stress is going to go somewhere else.”