UN says attack on displaced people’s camp in Yemen kills eight

CAIRO (AP) — The United Nations said shelling of a camp for displaced people in Yemen’s northern Hajjah province has killed eight civilians and wounded 30.

The United Nation (UN) Human Coordinator for Yemen Lise Grande said the shelling was a “shocking…. and senseless attack.”

She said yesterday that such attacks “cannot be justified — ever.”

She didn’t identify the source of the shelling, which took place on Saturday in the province’s Haradh district.

No one has so far claimed responsibility for the attack.

The UN said an attack earlier in January near the same camp killed six children and two women.

Yemen’s civil war started in 2014 when the Shiite rebels known as Houthis captured the capital, Sanaa.