Uggah denies allegation Sarawak not assisting BSH aid programme implementation

KUCHING (Bernama) – The Sarawak Chief Minister’s Department has issued an instruction to 11 residents, 29 district officers (DOs) and seven Sub-District Offices to assist the Federal Treasury in the distribution of vouchers and RM300 cash payment for recipients of the Bantuan Sara Hidup (BSH) welfare programme.

Deputy Chief Minister Datuk Amar Douglas Uggah Embas said the instruction to assist recipients who did not have bank accounts under the programme rolled out by the Pakatan Harapan (PH) government was made via its letter dated February 1, 2019 (Reference No. (38) JKM/up/900-2/3/7BTW).

He said this assistance and cooperation of the district offices had greatly facilitated the cash payment of BSH to the rural recipients in 31 locations in Sarawak from February 11.

“Therefore, there is no such thing that the state government had given the instruction for the district offices not to assist with the BSH as alleged by Chong (Domestic Trade and Consumer Affairs Deputy Minister Chong Chieng Jen),” he said in a statement yesterday.

Uggah was responding to a statement made by Chong, who is also Sarawak PH chairman, yesterday claiming that several district offices had declined to register eligible Sarawak recipients.

Chong, had, however, said he did not think that those DOs were acting on their own and believed that they were taking instructions from the state government, unless they were lazy or indeed acting on their own accord.

Uggah said to date, 21 locations had been successfully covered while the Federal Financial Office reaffirmed that the district offices had provided the necessary assistance and cooperation without which the programme would not have been implemented smoothly.

A recipient of of the Bantuan Sara Hidup (BSH) welfare programme with his child. – BERNAMA