Toddler among three new coronavirus cases in Cambodia

PHNOM PENH (XINHUA) – Cambodia yesterday confirmed three new cases of COVID-19 including a one-year-old local boy and two people who had arrived from overseas, the Ministry of Health (MoH) said in a statement.

The baby is the son of a 30-year-old woman who tested positive for the virus on November 29 after having direct contact with an infected person linked to the first-ever community transmission on November 28, the statement said.

“The boy’s samples were taken for the third test by the Pasteur Institute of Cambodia, and the result on Monday showed that he turned out to be positive for the virus,” it said, adding that he is currently undergoing treatment in Phnom Penh.

A Cambodian-American woman arriving in the kingdom from the United States via a connecting flight in South Korea and a Japanese woman landing in the country from Japan via a connecting flight in South Korea also tested positive for the virus on Monday, the statement said.

It added that the remaining 168 passengers on both flights have been placed under a 14-day mandatory quarantine at various quarantine centres in Phnom Penh.

The Southeast Asian nation has so far recorded a total of 362 confirmed COVID-19 cases, with zero deaths and 312 recoveries, the statement said.