Thunder get wild overtime victory over Trail Blazers

PORTLAND, Oregon (AP) – Despite something of a strange ending to regulation, the Oklahoma City Thunder toughed it out in overtime.

Russell Westbrook had 37 points and Paul George added 32 points and 14 rebounds for the Thunder in a chippy 129-121 overtime win over the Portland Trail Blazers on Thursday night.

The victory gave the Thunder a four-game series sweep of the Blazers this season.

“We were resilient in the game and we did a good job of staying together,’’ Westbrook said. “This is a tough place to play, as we know. We had to do the right things down the stretch to win. That’s what we did here.’’

Damian Lillard had a season-high 51 points for the Blazers, while Jusuf Nurkic added 13 points and 17 rebounds before he was sent off with his second technical with under a minute to go in regulation.

The teams had gone into the game knotted for third in the Western Conference – along with the Houston Rockets – with identical 39-25 records.

“Every time we’ve played them over the years, it’s pretty much been a war – physical, close games, chippy,’’ Lillard said.

“This one was no different.’’

Portland Trail Blazers guard Damian Lillard (2nd R) shoots over Oklahoma City Thunder guard Russell Westbrook (L) and centre Steven Adams (2nd L), during the second half of an NBA basketball game between the two teams in Portland, Oregon on Thursday night. – AP

Westbrook’s three-pointer in overtime put the Thunder up 118-117 and he made a pair of free throws to extend the lead.

After George made the second of a pair of free throws, Westbrook’s layup gave Oklahoma City a 123-117 lead.

The Thunder led by a slim 85-83 margin going into the fourth quarter in a game where neither side stretched the advantage to double digits.

Regulation ended with a wild final minute.

George appeared to elbow Nurkic, who was knocked to the floor as Terrance Ferguson made a layup that put the Thunder up 113-111.

Portland players protested, but no call was made.

Words were then exchanged between Nurkic and George in a skirmish under Portland’s basket. After a review both received offsetting technicals, and a foul was called on the Thunder.

Because Nurkic already had a technical, he was ejected and the Thunder chose Blazers reserve Skal Labissiere to make the free throws. He missed both, but a loose-ball foul was called on the Thunder and Al-Farouq Aminu made both shots to tie it at 113 with 2.9 seconds left.

After a turnover by the Thunder, the game went to overtime. But Portland was without Nurkic for the rest of the way.

“It was a close game,’’ Portland coach Terry Stotts said. “It went back and forth, both teams were going at it, physical game. The difference was overtime.’’

Thunder coach Billy Donovan lamented the overtime, coming on the front end of a back-to-back. Oklahoma City visits the Clippers in their next game.

“The fact that the game got prolonged was strange in itself,’’ he said. “But that’s the reality of it, we’ve got a quick turnaround.’’

Following the game, official Ed Malloy told a pool reporter that the apparent elbow did not trigger a replay because no call was made.

He also said the offsetting technicals were the result of physical contact between Nurkic and George, “which is an unsportsmanlike act”.