SINGAPORE (THE STAR) – Three more Singaporeans have been evacuated from Ukraine and six remain in the country, Foreign Affairs Minister Vivian Balakrishnan said yesterday.
He previously said at least nine Singaporeans were in Ukraine, spread out across several cities.
Giving an update in Parliament during his ministry’s Committee of Supply debate, Dr Balakrishnan said ASEAN will soon issue a statement calling for an “immediate ceasefire” in Ukraine.
“We continue to try to get humanitarian assistance to Ukraine. And of course, we continue to monitor the evacuation of Singaporeans in Ukraine,” he added.
Dr Balakrishnan noted the United Nations General Assembly vote on Wednesday, overwhelming adopting a resolution that “demands” Russia “immediately” withdraw from Ukraine.
“The ongoing developments in Ukraine are a stark reminder of the vulnerability of small states when confronted by a larger and more powerful opponent,” the minister said in
“We must take a stand against actions that clearly violate sovereignty, political independence and the territorial integrity of another country – of all countries. Because ultimately, this is also about us, as a tiny city-state. When push comes to shove, smaller countries like Singapore must be prepared to defend ourselves and not get caught up in the geopolitical games of big powers. We do not take sides but we do take a stand to uphold existential principles.”