| James Kon |
AN ELDERLY woman and two children are currently being treated in hospital, following a house fire in Jalan Kebangsaan Lama, on Thursday.
Fourteen personnel from Berakas Fire Station and the Women’s Operations Unit were called to the scene, after being notified of the fire at 10.30am.
Led by Station Commander of the Berakas Fire Station ASFR Mushidee bin Junaidi, the firefighters took three minutes to completely extinguish the blaze, using two jet hoses and water from a nearby hydrant.
A statement from the Fire and Rescue Department (FRD) confirmed that the three victims had managed to escape from the burning house earlier, and were taken to the Raja Isteri Pengiran Anak Saleha (RIPAS) Hospital by a neighbour.
Both Khiung Loi Theh, 60, and Chan Fook Long, aged four, are being treated for inhalation injuries, while nine-month-old Chan Wee Jie is receiving treatment for burns to his hands and upper body.
In the wake of the incident, the FRD has issued an advisory, reminding the public to switch off electrical appliances when not in use.
All electrical wiring work must be performed by licensed companies, while lighters, matches and other combustible materials should be kept out of children’s reach.