TOKYO (AFP) – Three more people on a cruise ship off Japan have tested positive for the new coronavirus, bringing the number aboard to 64, the government said yesterday, with passengers facing a two-week quarantine.
The latest confirmation came a day after an additional 41 passengers were found to have contracted the virus, which has killed hundreds of people, most of them in China, where it has infected more than 30,000 on the mainland.
Japanese authorities have so far tested about 280 people on board the Diamond Princess, which was quarantined after a former passenger who disembarked in Hong Kong last month was diagnosed with the virus.
Test results from six more people were released on Saturday, with three of them confirmed infected, the health ministry said.
The three passengers are two Americans – a woman in her 60s and a man in his 70s – and a Chinese woman in her 30s, the ministry said without giving their names. They have already been sent to hospital, it added.
There were more than 3,700 passengers and crew on the ship when it arrived off Japan’s coast on Monday evening. It docked in Yokohama on Thursday to resupply for a quarantine that could last until February 19.
One of those found infected is in serious condition. Many on board are elderly and at greater risk of developing complications from the virus.