Thailand reports no COVID-19 cases for first time since March 9

BANGKOK (CNA) – Thailand has reported no new cases of COVID-19 for the first time since March 9.

Spokesperson for Thailand’s Centre for COVID-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) Dr Thaweesilp Wisanuyothin said yesterday that this was a result of nationwide cooperation, while urging the public to continue to abide by the government’s disease control measures.

“We can feel relaxed a little now but we should never lower our guard,” he said in a press conference. “We’ve all been working hard for this and now we can relax slightly.”

Since Thailand imposed a nationwide curfew between 10pm and 4am on April 3, the daily new case numbers have remained steady.

According to Dr Thaweesilp, most new cases in the past two weeks have been detected through quarantine facilities, active case-finding strategies in communities and people with close contact with COVID-19 patients.

“Patients under investigation may not test positive today but they can show symptoms tomorrow or the day after tomorrow. It can happen anywhere,” he warned. “So wash your hands, practise social distancing and wear a face mask. It’s really important,” he added.

Thailand began easing its lockdown measures on May 3 after the situation had improved.

Six types of activities and businesses benefitted from the partial relaxation while maintaining social distancing requirements. They include markets, eateries outside department stores, retailers, sports and recreational activities, hair salons and barbershops, as well as pet grooming and boarding businesses. The Thai government is considering relaxing more measures within this week to allow more business venues to reopen.

However, the final decision depends on the new case numbers. If the numbers increase dramatically during this period, a further relaxation of lockdown measures can be put on hold.

Since January, Thailand has reported 3,017 cases of COVID-19. Its youngest patient was one month old and the oldest one was 97.

So far, 2,844 patients have been discharged from hospitals and 56 have died. One hundred and seventeen people remain hospitalised. According to Dr Thaweesilp, the country has carried out over 200,000 COVID-19 tests. Since May 1, 34,444 tests have been taken and 63 of them were positive.