SPRING, TEXAS (AP) — A Texas water park said a chemical exposure that sent dozens of people to hospitals was caused by “improper installation” of a water filtration system.
Six Flags officials said on Wednesday that a third-party service company improperly installed the system at Hurricane Harbor Splashtown, causing pool-sanitising chemicals to be released in an outdoor kiddie pool area on July 17.
“We have determined that the vapour release involved a low-level mixture of the pool-sanitising chemicals which was discharged from the bottom of the pool through the water filtration system,” said Jason Freeman, Six Flags Vice President of Safety.
“The vapour was well below any reportable quantity.”
About 30 people were hospitalised as a result, and 200 people have joined a lawsuit against Six Flags, which owns the water park, the Houston Chronicle reported. Those who fell ill complained of headaches, vision problems, nausea, vomiting, dizziness and sore throats.
Six Flags did not identify the company that installed the system. The park re-opened to the public yesterday.