Tengku Adnan still BN Secretary-General

KUALA LUMPUR (Bernama) – Datuk Seri Tengku Adnan Tengku Mansor remains as the Barisan Nasional (BN) Secretary-General because he has not resigned or been dismissed from the post, BN Deputy Chairman Datuk Seri Mohamad Hasan said yesterday.

He also said that the appointment of Datuk Seri Mohamed Nazri Abdul Aziz as the BN Secretary-General has not been proposed and seconded at a meeting of the BN Supreme Council and, as such, was not recognised.

Every decision on appointments in the BN must adhere to the constitution and secure a consensus of the Supreme Council, said Mohamad, who is also the UMNO Deputy President.

Besides UMNO, MCA and MIC are the component parties of BN.

“Tengku Adnan did not resign (as the BN Secretary-General) and the appointment of Datuk Seri Mohamed Nazri Abdul Aziz as the new Secretary-General was not brought to the BN Supreme Council,” he told reporters after chairing a meeting of the BN Supreme Council at Menara Dato Onn.

Last Monday, MCA and MIC said in a joint statement that Mohamed Nazri’s appointment as the BN Secretary-General was not in accordance with the provisions of the BN constitution.

BN Chairman and UMNO President Datuk Seri Dr Ahmad Zahid Hamidi had announced at the MIC annual General Assembly last year that Mohamed Nazri, the MP for Padang Rengas, is the new BN Secretary-General.

Mohamad said the BN meeting yesterday decided that Tengku Adnan remains as the Secretary-General until such time that he resigns or is dismissed from the post.

Last Wednesday, Mohamed Nazri said he will not attend BN Supreme Council meeting to ensure that MCA and MIC attend the meeting to discuss the proposed dissolution of the coalition as well as his appointment as the Secretary-General.

He had also said that he will not give up the post but is prepared to be “kicked out” if the BN meeting decides to reject his appointment.

MCA and MIC had said that they will stay away from the BN meeting if Mohamed Nazri attends it.

Meanwhile, Mohamed Nazri, in his response, said he respected the decision of the BN meeting.

“I have no problem with the outcome of the meeting.

“As the Secretary-General, I was restrained from expressing myself without any restriction. I want to maintain the freedom to express myself for the good of all and focus on my political agenda,” he said.