PARIS (AP) – Three women in France were found dead on New Year’s Day, allegedly killed by their partners, despite efforts by President Emmanuel Macron’s government to rein in deadly domestic violence.
In all three cases, the men told police they themselves were at fault, according to local
Feminist groups are crying for more action and EUR1 billion in funding to train all French police and ensure better protection for those targetted by abusive partners.
In response to public anger, government ministers held online meetings on Tuesday with local officials in the town where one of the killings occurred. “We’re all mobilised,” tweeted Junior Minister for Equal Rights Elisabeth Moreno.
“Three women killed in 24 hours and their only reaction is to organise a little meeting days later?” asked Marylie Breuil of activist group Nous Toutes. “No, their work isn’t done.”
The three deaths were especially shocking after high-profile efforts by the French government to prevent such killings, and by French activists and media to shine a light
A 45-year-old woman in the French Riviera city of Nice was found strangled on New Year’s Day in the trunk of her son’s car after her husband turned himself into police, according to the regional prosecutor’s office. The couple had separated last year.
The same day in northeast France, a 56-year-old woman was found stabbed to death in the town of Labry, and her partner acknowledged killing her in an argument, local news site Lorrain Actu quoted the regional prosecutor as saying.
And in western France, a 27-year-old woman was found lying with fatal knife wounds outside her home.
Her partner was arrested and told investigators that he stabbed her and an investigation was opened into premeditated murder, according to regional prosecutors.