23.3 C
Brunei
Sunday, December 4, 2022
23.3 C
Brunei
Sunday, December 4, 2022
More
    - Advertisement -

    Spain train crash driver says he couldn’t avert accident

    MADRID (AP) – The driver of a train that crashed in Spain in 2013, killing 80 passengers and injuring 145 others, told a court yesterday he had braked but couldn’t avoid the accident. He said there had been no signals warning him to reduce speed before the curve where the crash occurred.

    Spain’s state news agency Efe and other media outlets said Francisco José Garzón Amo had difficulty speaking and shed some tears as he began to give testimony. He continually apologised.

    He was speaking on the second day of the trial in the northwestern city of Santiago de Compostela.

    Prosecutors are seeking four-year prison sentences if Garzón and Andrés Cortabitarte, a former security director at state-owned rail infrastructure company ADIF, are convicted of bearing responsibility for the deaths and injuries. They both are accused of professional negligence.

    Cortibitarte was due to give testimony today, but the court postponed it until Tuesday.

    The defendant asked for a delay, saying he was still shaken from being assaulted by a protester and insulted by crowds on leaving the court on Wednesday.

    Emergency personnel work at the site of a train derailed in Santiago de Compostela, Spain on July 25, 2013. PHOTO: AP

    An investigation of the July 24, 2013 derailment showed the train was travelling 179 kilometres per hour on a stretch with an 80-kilometres-per-hour speed limit when it left the tracks. The probe also revealed the driver answered a phone call from the conductor just seconds before the crash.

    The driver told the court yesterday he was obliged to answer the call as part of his job, but admitted it distracted him.

    As is allowed under Spanish law, the driver only agreed to take questions from his own lawyer, Manuel Prieto.

    Prieto told reporters on Wednesday that missing signposts on the stretch of railway line where the accident occurred and other inadequate safety measures triggered the derailment, not the phone call.

    ADIF confirmed days after the crash that an automatic braking program was installed on most of the track leading from Madrid north to Santiago de Compostela but the coverage stopped five kilometres south of the accident site, placing a greater burden on the driver.

    The trial is expected to last several months and feature some 650 witnesses.

    - Advertisement -
    - Advertisement -
    spot_img

    Latest article

    - Advertisement -
    spot_img