NEW DELHI (AP) – Police said a fire at a budget hotel in India’s capital that killed 17 people was likely caused by a short circuit.
New Delhi Police Commissioner Amit Sharma said yesterday that no foul play is suspected in the fire on Tuesday that also left four people injured.
The Delhi Government Minister of Health and Urban Development, Satyendar Kumar Jain, said most of the deaths at the Arpit Palace Hotel in Karol Bagh in central New Delhi were caused by suffocation.
The hotel developer had a permit from the fire department to build up to four stories. But the building appeared to have six floors, including an unauthorised kitchen, Jain said, which was built from sheets of fiberglass on top of the roof.
Wood-panelled hallways and stairwells fed the flames.