26.7 C
Brunei
Friday, December 2, 2022
26.7 C
Brunei
Friday, December 2, 2022
More
    - Advertisement -

    Seoul court approves extradition of New Zealand suspect

    SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA (AP) – A South Korean court has approved the extradition of a 42-year-old woman facing murder charges in New Zealand over her possible connection to the bodies of two long-dead children found abandoned in suitcases in August.

    The Seoul High Court said yesterday its decision came after the unidentified woman agreed in writing to be sent back to New Zealand. The court had previously planned to review her case on Monday to determine whether she should be extradited and now says that session is no longer necessary.

    With the court approving her extradition, it’s now up to South Korean Justice Minister Han Dong-hoon to make the final call on whether she’s sent to New Zealand. It wasn’t immediately clear how soon that decision will be made.

    Justice Ministry’s international crimes division official Lee Ji-hyeong said the ministry will look into various details, including whether the woman’s consent was properly obtained, before Han decides whether to extradite her.

    The Justice Ministry last month instructed prosecutors to apply for the review at the court after determining there was “considerable reason” to believe that the suspect committed the crimes.

    South Korean police arrested the woman in September, based on a domestic court warrant issued after New Zealand requested her provisional arrest. New Zealand’s Justice Ministry then submitted a formal request for her extradition to the South Korean ministry.

    - Advertisement -
    - Advertisement -
    spot_img

    Latest article

    - Advertisement -
    spot_img