A JUDGE has refused to reduce R Kelly’s child support payments.
The 52-year-old singer was jailed last week after failing to comply with a court order to pay over USD161,000 in overdue payments to his ex-wife Andrea Lee for their kids Joann, 21, Jay, 19, and Robert, 17, but after he was released from jail last Saturday, he appeared in court for a private hearing on Wednesday.
Though courtroom proceedings were sealed to the public, the Ignition hitmaker’s attorney confirmed afterwards there would be no change in the current USD21,000-a-month payments, CBS Chicago reports.
Kelly, who was released from jail after an anonymous person posted bail for him, previously insisted the matter would be “straightened out”.
He said, “I promise, we will straighten this out. That is all I can say right now.”
The child support row came a few weeks after the singer was taken into custody after being charged with 10 counts of aggravated criminal abuse stemming from allegations made against him by four women, three of whom were under age at the time the alleged incidents took place.
At the time, bail for the I Believe I Can Fly hitmaker was set at USD1 million after Cook County Judge John Fitzgerald Lyke Jr found the allegations made against R Kelly were very “disturbing”.
The Ignition hitmaker posted his bail days later, and recently gave an emotional interview in which he insisted allegations against him are “not true”.
He said, “Quit playing, I didn’t do this stuff.
“This is not me. I’m fighting for my life! You all killing me with this nonsense! I’ve given you 30 years of my career! 30 years of my career!
“This is not about music! I’m trying to have a relationship with my kids and I can’t do it! You all just don’t want to believe the truth. You all don’t want to believe it.” – BANG!