Friday, December 8, 2023
25 C
Brunei Town

Protesters burn camp after police move in

WELLINGTON (AFP) – New Zealand anti-vaccination demonstrators set alight their own protest camp outside parliament yesterday after riot police moved to end their weeks-long occupation of the legislative precinct.

Police abandoned their light-touch approach, with hundreds of officers using perspex shields, pepper spray and water jets to force back protesters, who responded by hurling bottles, bricks and paint bombs.

When it became clear police were winning control of the makeshift tent city that sprang up on parliament’s lawns three weeks ago, the demonstrators torched  it themselves.

“This is not over,” one man yelled, while others chanted “Shame on you” at advancing officers as a thick pall of black smoke enveloped  the area.

Police deployed an ear-splitting sonic cannon and high-pressure water hoses to help disperse the crowd, although a few dozen regrouped and fought running battles with police on nearby streets into the evening.

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern backed the force’s tough tactics, angrily denouncing the violence as a “desecration” of  parliament’s grounds.

Demonstrators set fire to tents, mattresses and chairs at a protest opposing coronavirus vaccine mandates in Wellington. PHOTO: AP

“It was an attack on our frontline police, it was an attack on our parliament, it was an attack on our values, and it was wrong,” she told reporters in parliament as rioting continued a few hundred  metres away.

She said what began as a movement against coronavirus vaccine mandates – inspired by similar protests in Canada – had turned toxic and the demonstrators’ conduct was “disgraceful”.

Ardern said the protesters represented a small group whose extremism was fuelled by conspiracy theories and misinformation.

“We have a difficult journey in front of us, to address the underlying cause of what we have seen here today – but in doing so, we will never, ever excuse it,” she said.

Police launched a pre-dawn push to clear roads around the legislature, using a large forklift truck to remove cars and campervans that arrived in the capital in a convoy on February 8 and were used to jam  downtown streets.

In the afternoon, they turned to the protest’s epicentre on the lawns of parliament, where around 3,000 people congregated at the height of the demonstration about two weeks ago.

Numbers have since dwindled to a hard core of about 300 who police commissioner Andrew Coster said had shown a willingness to use violence not shared by  legitimate demonstrators.

“We’ve seen tactics (from protesters) today including spraying fire extinguishers at the police line, the throwing of paint, early on we saw weapons,” he said.

He said police were not seeking confrontation but added: “This protest has now tipped over a balance and it now needs to end.”


Latest article