Prosecution, defence in Najib’s MYR27 M SRC case seek to postpone hearing

KUALA LUMPUR (BERNAMA) – The prosecution and the defence in Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak’s money laundering case, involving MYR27 million in SRC International Sdn Bhd (SRC) funds, are seeking to postpone hearing of the case pending the outcome of the former prime minister’s appeal on the MYR42 million SRC case in the Court of Appeal.

Deputy public prosecutor Mohd Ashrof Adrin Kamarul told reporters this after the case management, held in chambers before High Court Judge Mohamed Zaini Mazlan yesterday.

“The MYR27 million SRC case has been set for hearing from August 2 to 9, but since the Court of Appeal has yet to decide on the appeal in the MYR42 million SRC case, we have to apply for a postponement of the trial until the disposal of the appeal case,” he said, adding that it was necessary to postpone hearing of the MYR27 million SRC case as the evidence is interrelated with the MYR42 million SRC case and involves the same money trail.

He also said Judge Mohamed Zaini has instructed both parties to write a letter to the court today to apply for hearing of the case, which had been fixed for next Monday, to be postponed.

The prosecution will also send a letter seeking for the trial dates, which had been fixed in August this year and March and April 2022 to be vacated, he added. Najib’s lawyer Rahmat Hazlan, when contacted by reporters, confirmed that both parties in the MYR27 million SRC case were seeking to postpone the trial.

On February 3, 2019 Najib pleaded not guilty to the three charges of money laundering whereby he is believed to have received money totalling MYR27 million, allegedly proceeds from unlawful activities, in three AmPrivate Banking accounts belonging to him.

Najib is alleged to have committed the offences at AmIslamic Bank Berhad, Bangunan Ambank Group, No 55, Jalan Raja Chulan, on July 8, 2014, under Section 4(1)(a) of the Anti-Money Laundering and Anti-Terrorism Financing Act 2001, which provides for a maximum fine of MYR5 million or jail not exceeding five years or both, if convicted.

He was earlier charged in the Sessions Court but the case was transferred to the High Court on March 13, 2019 following an application by the prosecution.

Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak. PHOTO: AFP