Overheated e-cigarette battery causes small fire on flight

CHICAGO (AP) — American Airlines said a passenger’s electronic cigarette caused a small fire on a flight from Las Vegas to Chicago’s O’Hare International Airport.

American Airlines spokeswoman Leslie Scott said the e-cigarette’s battery overheated shortly after Flight 168 landed on Friday night. Scott says flight attendants stamped out the fire. No one was injured. The 138 passengers and crew of six taxied to a gate.

The United States (US) Transportation Department has banned e-cigarettes from checked bags because of the potential for them to catch fire. Passengers may put then in carry-on bags, but cannot use them aboard planes.