One new COVID-19 case, four more discharged

James Kon

Brunei Darussalam recorded only one new COVID-19 case yesterday, bringing the total cases in the country to 127.

In a press conference at the Ministry of Health (MOH) yesterday, Minister of Health Dato Seri Setia Dr Haji Mohd Isham bin Haji Jaafar said, “Case 127 is a three-year-old boy, who is the son of Case 120. The child does not have any recent history of travel abroad, and started to develop a fever on March 21.”

The minister continued, “Alhamdulillah, by the grace of Allah the Almighty, four more cases were confirmed today to have recovered and permitted to go home. This means that 38 patients made a recovery, and that 88 cases are currently receiving treatment at the centre.”

He also revealed that one of the patients previously under close observation is in a critical state and in need of a ventilator at the intensive care unit (ICU). “This brings the total of patients in a critical state to three. One patient is currently under close observation, while the rest are in stable condition.”

The minister highlighted that four out of nine remaining members returned to Brunei from Kuala Lumpur on March 29. They tested positive for COVID-19 while in Kuala Lumpur, and underwent treatment there.

“However, the Ministry of Health will continue to monitor their well-being, to make sure that they will continue to be in stable condition, based on their risk assessments,” he said.

Currently, there are 829 individuals undergoing quarantine in accordance to the Infectious Disease Act, Chapter 204, while 1,389 people have successfully completed quarantine and are in good condition.

Since early January, 5,980 laboratory tests for COVID-19 have been carried out in Brunei.

To date, 531 individuals, including 346 students, have registered to carry out mandatory self-isolation in their homes, after arriving in the country from overseas.

“The majority of those under self-isolation have come forward for COVID-19 tests. Those who have yet to undergo testing are urged to go immediately to the Sports Complex of the Raja Isteri Pengiran Anak Saleha (RIPAS) Hospital,” said the minister.

According to healthinfo.gov.bn, the breakdown of cases according to districts shows 102 cases in the Brunei-Muara District, 21 in the Belait District and four in the Tutong District. There are no cases in Temburong District.

For information, visit the MoH’s website at moh.gov.bn, or contact the Health Advice Line at 148.