| James Kon |
LEAKAGE from an oil hose connected to the carburetor is believed to have caused a fire that engulfed a vehicle yesterday afternoon near the roundabout of the Limau Manis filling station.
According to the Fire and Rescue Department, a distress called was received at 2.41pm and three fire engines with nine firefighters from the Pengkalan Batu Fire Station were rushed to the scene.
The firefighters, led by Watch Commander of Team ‘C’ of the Pengkalan Batu Fire Station DSO Zulfefle bin Haji Ali brought the blaze under control within five minutes.
Also present was Commander of Pengkalan Batu Fire Station Assistant Superintendent of Fire and Rescue Haji Hassan bin Haji Jamudin.
Total loss from the fire is estimated at BND3,000.
In light of the incident, the Fire and Rescue Department reminded the public, especially road users, to ensure that the vehicles they are travelling in – particularly their wiring system – are in good condition and not faulty.
Owners of vehicles are advised that any modifications of their engine electric systems, including the wiring, must be carried out by accredited mechanics in accordance to the proper procedures, as faulty wiring can result in electrical current surges through the car, causing cables to burn. Road users are also urged to always be on the alert and comply with the traffic regulations, as well as to be aware of changes in their driving conditions (due to rain, slippery roads and limited vision especially at night).
For emergencies, the public can contact the Operation Centre of the Fire and Rescue Department at 995 and provide information on the incident.