22.7 C
Brunei
Wednesday, July 6, 2022
22.7 C
Brunei
Wednesday, July 6, 2022
More
    - Advertisement -
    - Advertisement -

    No trophy, no regrets as Federer departs Indian Wells for Miami

    INDIAN WELLS, United States (AFP) – Roger Federer departed Indian Wells empty-handed for a second straight year, but the Swiss great sees no reason he can’t get back on track at the Miami Masters.

    “Sure, it’s frustrating and disappointing and sad to some extent,” Federer said after falling 3-6, 6-3, 7-5 to Austrian Dominic Thiem in the final.

    Thiem, 25, denied Federer a record sixth Indian Wells title and returned to his career-high of fourth in the world – bumping Federer down to fifth going to the second leg of the ‘Sunshine Double’ of Indian Wells and Miami.

    But Federer, the 20-time Grand Slam winner who claimed a remarkable 100th career title in Dubai last month, can afford to take the defeat in stride – especially when he’s playing well and feels his 37-year-old body is fully fit.

    “It’s just not as dramatic,” he said of falling to a player who was “just a bit better when it mattered”.

    “Whereas, when you’re hurt and things are difficult, maybe those hurt more.

    “I’m going to Miami. The body is perfectly fine. That also always keeps me upbeat, and I feel it’s a privilege when I feel this way leaving a tournament.

    “I have been playing every single day for the last three weeks. I can be very happy and proud of that fact.”

    Roger Federer in action at the men’s final of the BNP Paribas Open at the Indian Wells Tennis Garden. – AFP

    - Advertisement -
    spot_img

    Latest article

    - Advertisement -
    spot_img