| James kon |
AN EARLY morning blaze yesterday destroyed two workers’ quarters located in Kampong Bunut that housed 47 labourers of a local construction company.
The fire also gutted eleven vehicles parked nearby the houses.
According to a statement from Fire and Rescue Department, it received an emergency call about the fire at Simpang 639 at 3.08am.
Twenty firefighters and four fire engines from Bandar Seri Begawan, Beribi and Berakas fire stations rushed to the scene immediately.
By the time the firefighting team arrived at the scene, the massive blaze had engulfed a 15 metres by 40 metres bungalow house which then spread to another house.
Both houses were made of wood and zinc.
Led by ASO Abas bin Haji Ahmad, the firefighters controlled the blaze in eight minutes.
Fortunately, no one was hurt in the fire.
In the statement, the Fire and Rescue Department advised the public not to overload the use of electricity and make sure that wirings at home are carried out by accredited companies registered under the Department of Electrical Services.
It also reminded people to switch off power when it is not used and not to leave cooking unattended.
All homes must also be equipped with a fire extinguisher, a smoke detector and a fire blanket.
Members of the public can call the Fire and Rescue Operation Centre at 995 in case of an emergency.