KUALA LUMPUR (BERNAMA) – Malaysian Senior Defence Minister Hishammuddin Tun Hussein said the country’s borders would only be re-opened after discussion with the Health Ministry, Tourism, Arts and Culture Ministry as well as the Immigration Department.
He said the results of the discussion between the three parties would then be refined by the quartet meeting before being brought to the Cabinet or the Special Committee to Address COVID-19 chaired by the prime minister.
However, he said, the two ministries and the Immigration Department had been instructed to make preparations for the re-opening of the country’s borders.
“The re-opening of the country’s borders is a big decision, especially involving countries with bilateral relations that are still closing their borders to Malaysians,” he told a press conference after the COVID-19 Quartet Ministers’ Meeting at Wisma Pertahanan yesterday.
Hishammuddin was commenting on National Recovery Council Chairman Muhyiddin Yassin’s suggestion that the country’s borders be fully opened as early as March 1 without the need for mandatory quarantine.