KUALA LUMPUR (AFP) – Badminton great Lee Chong Wei aims to make his comeback in April at the Malaysia Open after a cancer battle, a month later than he originally hoped, an official confirmed on Tuesday.
The three-time Olympic silver medallist and former world number one has been sidelined since July last year when he was diagnosed with early-stage nose cancer.
The Malaysian star underwent a gruelling programme of specialist treatment in Taiwan but pledged not to retire and resumed training last month.
The 36-year-old had previously said he wanted to make a return to competitive play at the All England Open in March.
But on Monday, Lee told local media he was targetting a return to action on home soil at the Malaysia Open, which he has won 12 times, from April 2 to 7.
“I have got another appointment with my doctor in Taiwan next month. Once I get the green light from him, then I will make a full comeback, hopefully at the Malaysia Open,” he told the New Straits Times newspaper.
“It isn’t time to make a full comeback yet, I have to do it slowly in stages after consulting my doctor.”
Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) General Manager Michelle Chai confirmed to AFP that Lee planned to come back in April.