Kenin loses again, Barty eases through in Doha

DOHA (AFP) – Sofia Kenin suffered on Tuesday her third defeat since winning the Australian Open earlier this month, losing to Ukrainian youngster Dayana Yastremska in the Doha second round, while world number one Ashleigh Barty cruised to victory.

World number five Kenin, who defeated Garbine Muguruza to claim her maiden Grand Slam singles title in Melbourne, went down 6-3, 7-6 (7/4) to Yastremska.

American Kenin lost one of her two matches in the United States’ Fed Cup qualifying win over Latvia, before being knocked out by in-form Kazakh Elena Rybakina in the Dubai opening round last week.

“It’s really frustrating,” the 21-year-old told wtatennis.com.

“Obviously coming off of Melbourne where I felt I was playing the best tennis of my life, coming down to playing, not the worst tennis, but not playing the tennis I want to be playing.”

The 19-year-old Yastremska will face Muguruza in the third round after the Spaniard made short work of Australian Ajla Tomljanovic, winning 6-1, 6-2.

“Creds to her, she played well, came up with some good shots at those important moments,” Kenin said of Yastremska, who has already won three WTA titles.

“She just played better at important moments and I just made too many unforced errors, I just felt pretty flat-footed the whole match.”

Barty strolled past German Laura Siegemund in her first match since losing in the Australian Open semi-finals to Kenin.

The reigning French Open champion saw off the world number 68, 6-3, 6-2.

Barty broke serve five times in the match, winning in under an hour and a quarter.