THE Public Works Department (JKR) would like to respond to the letter ‘Water Woes at Jalan 77, Kg Perpindahan Lambak Kanan’ by Annoyed resident, published in the Opinion page of the Borneo Bulletin on March 20.
We thank the writer for bringing the issue to our attention and apologise for the inconvenience of experiencing a low water supply at Jalan 77, Kampong Perpindahan Lambak Kanan
The inconsistent problem of low water supply to the area is because of a combination of issues.
The Lambak Kanan reservoir level has been severely affected by shortcoming of potable water supply from the Bukit Barun Water Treatment Plant (Stage 4 & 5 WTP).
Upgrading work of the water treatment plant has just commenced and before this, the plant has not been running at its optimum level because of age factor.
The reservoir in Kampong Perpindahan Lambak Kanan is among the last system in the water network to receive water from the Bukit Barun Water Treatment Plant.
This resulted in a fluctuating low level water level in the reservoir.
The water supply problem is also further aggravated with transmission pipe leaks and emergency (ad-hoc) shutdowns recently, which was beyond the expectation of the JKR.
The department would like to reassure the writer and all affected residents that JKR has and is continuously striving to take all effort to improve future water supply to Kampong Perpindahan Lambak Kanan.
Among the immediate efforts being taken include:
– JKR has made a couple of new connections from direct supply mains to distribute water to Jalan 77.
– Placed additional blue tanks at appropriate locations and constantly reviewing most suitable possible locations.
– Erected water standpipes for public to collect water.
– The operation and maintenance team of JKR have also been actively carrying out balancing of water reservoirs at night and active water leak detection management.
The department assures the writer and all affected residents of the commitment in future plans to improve water supply.
This was outlined by Minister of Development Yang Berhormat Dato Seri Setia Awang Haji Suhaimi bin Haji Gafar, in his opening remark at the 15th Legislative Council meeting on March 18, 2019, with commitment to improve water supply infrastructure management and maintenance programmes.
JKR appreciates the writer’s concerns of roadside safety and is constantly reviewing the best possible locations for the blue tanks.
Additionally, the department would like inform affected residents of Kampong Perpindahan Lambak Kanan of the location of blue water tanks and stand pipes:
- Along Jalan 49 (near Simpang 5)
- Along Jalan 64 (near Simpang 15 and Simpang 84)
- Along Jalan 11 (near Simpang 63 and Simpang 76)
- Near Dato Marsal Primary School
- Near Police post at Jalan 77 Community Hall
- RPN Lambak Kanan Mosque
- Near the Department of Co-Curriculum Education, Jalan 10
- Near Sayyidina Abu Bakar Secondary School
- Jalan 10, Simpang 262
- Jalan 2, Near Dato Marsal Primary School
- Jalan Madang, Near Simpang 46
JKR regrets the unfortunate circumstances and wish to thank and appreciate the writer and all affected residents of Kampong Perpindahan Lambak Kanan for their understanding and patience.
– Public Works Department