Gas leak sparks house fire

James Kon

A house fire in Kampong Sungai Tampoi last Thursday is alleged to be sparked by a leakage from an LPG gas hose connected to a stove.

DSO Haji Mohamad bin Haji Ibrahim led five personnel from Jerudong Fire Station to the scene at 4.13pm, where they found flames raging from the kitchen.

The fire was extinguished within five minutes, and the estimated damage is still being assessed.

The Fire and Rescue Department (FRD) advises the public to equip their homes with fire extinguishers, fire blankets and battery-operated smoke detectors. All wiring and electrical equipment should be installed by skilled technicians and electrical appliances switched off before leaving the house.

Homeowners are also reminded to turn off the gas regulator when not in use. The gas regulator should be replaced every five years and the gas hose every two years, according to BSM standards.

For fire-related emergencies, contact 995.

Damages to the house. PHOTO: FRD