22.9 C
Brunei
Sunday, July 3, 2022
22.9 C
Brunei
Sunday, July 3, 2022
More
    - Advertisement -
    - Advertisement -

    French police out in force to prevent ‘yellow vest’ violence

    PARIS (AFP) – Thousands of police fanned out across central Paris and other French cities yesterday ahead of planned ‘yellow vest’ protests, with the government vowing to prevent a repeat of the rioting and looting seen in the capital last week.

    Authorities have banned demonstrations in a large area in the west of the city, including the Champs-Elysees, the scene of last week’s rampage by hundreds of black-clad agitators.

    Dozens of police vehicles, including armoured trucks and water cannons, encircled the Arc de Triomphe at the top of the iconic avenue, with officers searching people’s bags and patrolling in front of boarded-up storefronts.

    At the opposite end of the avenue access was completely blocked to the Place de la Concorde, near the presidential palace and the National Assembly, and two drones were flying over the capital to help officers track any protesters’ movements.

    Yellow vest organisers had called on social media for protests elsewhere in Paris, including the Trocadero square in front of the Eiffel Tower at the Place de la Republique, though both areas were calm early yesterday.

    But banks and other businesses remained shut in several parts of the city, their windows protected with planks of wood, and some schools had cancelled yesterday classes in anticipation of further violence.

    Protest bans were also in effect in the centres of Toulouse, Bordeaux, Dijon, Rennes and the southern city of Nice, where Chinese President Xi Jinping is to meet his French counterpart Emmanuel Macron this weekend.

    French gendarmerie officers walk near parked vehicles along the Champs-Elysees avenue in the French capital Paris in readiness for the ‘yellow vest’ anti-government demonstrators on the 19th consecutive week of nationwide protest, early yesterday. – AFP

    Macron is under pressure to avoid a repeat of last week’s sacking of the Champs-Elysees, where over 100 shops were damaged, looted or set alight during seven hours of rioting by mainly masked, black-clad protesters.

    The government has redeployed soldiers from its Sentinelle anti-terror force to guard public buildings yesterday, freeing up the 6,000 deployed police in Paris to tackle any flare-ups of violence.

    The move has drawn fierce criticism from opposition parties, who have accused the government of playing with fire.

    On social media, several ‘yellow vest’ leaders urged caution yesterday, warning demonstrators against appearing to countenance the violence by far-left or far-right infiltrators.

    In a YouTube post, truck driver Eric Drouet called on protesters not to try to return to the Champs-Elysees.

    “It’s a very, very bad idea. You know what image they’re trying to create of us,” he said, predicting a “quiet Saturday”.

    Macron’s government drew fierce criticism over its handling of last week’s protests, when police appeared to hang back during the wave of rioting and vandalism that swept the Champs-Elysees.

    Analysts said the authorities may have been reluctant to engage the rioters after the dozens of injuries sustained by participants in previous protests.

    But this week officials vowed “zero tolerance” for more violence.

    - Advertisement -
    spot_img

    Latest article

    - Advertisement -
    spot_img