Foreign vehicles must obtain, renew EES pass

Izah Azahari

The Royal Customs and Excise Department (RCED) under the Ministry of Finance and Economy announced that today, any foreign-registered vehicles in Brunei yet to have an Exit and Entry System (EES) pass or has an expired EES pass are required to obtain and renew the temporary import permission for vehicles through the EES website.

Foreign-registered vehicles in Brunei without an EES Pass is an offence under Section 154 of the Excise Order, 2006 and if convicted, the driver or owner may be fined no more than BND16,000 or jailed no more than eight months or both, with the full vehicle tax levied based on customs assessment.

To obtain and renew the EES pass, the applicant who is the driver of the foreign-registered vehicle must register through where they will then have to choose between a one-way pass with a service charge (CaP) of BND3 per person, or a commuting pass with a CaP of BND6 per person.

Applicants are required to fill in the vehicle’s and personal information, and make payment for CaP. The temporary import authorisation period for the vehicle will be issued for three months.

Meanwhile, applicants who have made early payment for commuting or does not intend to travel out of Brunei before the expiration of the EES Pass, are also required to obtain and renew the temporary import permission for foreign-registered vehicles.