OSLO (AFP) – Rescue workers have uncovered a fifth body four days after a landslide buried homes near Norway’s capital, police said yesterday, as the search goes on for five people still missing.
The tragedy occurred in the early hours of Wednesday when houses were destroyed and shifted hundreds of metres under a torrent of mud at the village of Ask, 25 kilometres northeast of Oslo.
“Just before 6am a deceased person was found,” a police statement said.
The discovery of a fourth body had been made on Saturday after three were recovered the day before at the bleak, snow-covered scene at Ask, in Gjerdrum municipality.
Police on Saturday identified the body of the first person found on Friday as 31-year-old Eirik Grønolen.
The identities of the four other dead have not been released.
But police on Friday published a list of the names of all the eight adults, a two-year-old and a 13-year-old child who went missing on Wednesday.
Ten people were also injured in the landslide, including one seriously who was transferred to Oslo for treatment.